'68 Galaxie 500 ignition switch/Fusible link?

Old 02-17-07, 06:01 PM
'68 Galaxie 500 ignition switch/Fusible link?

Hi,

My ignition switch shorted out the other day. A little smoke, turned some of the wires leading to the switch a little brown.

I thought a new switch would fix the issue, but I've tried 2 (thinking the first may have been bad), with the same result.

When I turn the switch nothing happens. No dash lights come on, no radio, no heater fan, the starter does not turn over, it's completely dead.

- I've cleaned the battery terminals and the lights work.
- I've looked up under the dash and the wires look to be in good condition up to the point they join with the harness (obviously can't see after that).
-I've used a multimeter to check from the ignition switch plug terminals to a point on the wire further back and there is no issue there.

Any ideas? Do these cars have fusible links? My Datsun 510 has one, but from what I remember when it goes nothing works, with this issue the lights are still working.

Thanks,

Anthony

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-07, 07:58 PM
I happen to have a 68 Ford Shop Manual. There's no mention of fusible links in the wiring, and that may be part of the problem.

I know it's obvious, but you didn't mention checking the fuses.

Old 02-17-07, 09:02 PM
Thanks for checking the manual. I did check the fuses. There are only 4-5, none were blown, and none have to do with the ignition. I also checked the wires going into the fuse box, all are ok from what I can see.

I may try to run a jumper wire straight from the battery to the large yellow wire at the switch and see if that does anything. Right now it seems like it isn't getting any power at all.

Anthony

Old 02-18-07, 08:01 AM
It looks like you're on your own. One method of attack is to check for hot (12v) wires, and see where the voltage disappears.

Old 02-18-07, 10:18 AM
Fusible link

Sounds like a fusible link to me
The lights have a built in circuit breaker to protect over current to that point.
That is to allow a bit of time to pull over if over current does occur. The lights will cycle off and on.
Here is a schematic
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/11/36/1c/0900823d8011361c.jsp
I would look for the fusible link before I did anything
Then I would look for WHY THE LINK BLEW
Nice car
Don't want it to burn

So I looked on line and 68 mustang dont have a fusible link so galaxie might not have a link.
Look for a burnt wire where the fuse link would be

Last edited by frankiee; 02-18-07 at 11:12 AM. Reason: New info
Old 02-18-07, 10:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
not likely but....

did you verify that the new switch is good? I had to replace the ign switch on my tractor a few yrs ago - took awhile for me to figure out the new switch was defective.

Old 02-18-07, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
did you verify that the new switch is good? I had to replace the ign switch on my tractor a few yrs ago - took awhile for me to figure out the new switch was defective.
This is the 2nd brand new switch I've tried and no results with either one.

frankiee-- Thanks for that link, could come in handy for this and in the future. I haven't seen anything burnt where the link would be, but probably wasn't looking in the right place. I'll check again.

Thanks,

Anthony