my wipers hate me

Old 02-18-07, 06:21 PM
Y
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry my wipers hate me

I have a 1991 dodge dynasty- 6 cylinder 3.3L. 3 weeks ago I turned on my wipers and nothing happened. Checked the fuse and it had blown. I turned off the wiper switch, and all accessories, then shut the car off. I replaced the fuse and as soon as I turned the key the fuse blew. I unplugged the wiper motor, then replaced the fuse. It didn't blow so I assumed that the motor had gone bad so I replaced it. It worked fine. Today I went shopping for an hour, returned to the car, started it up, and NO wipers. (I had used the wipers before going into the store and they were fine.) I checked the fuse....it had blown. I shut EVERYTHING down, replaced the fuse and when I turned the key.........the fuse blew immediately. Is this some silly coincidence? Or........is there something internal that is burning out my wiper motors. (The wiper motor WAS grounded and because I live where it snows all of the time.........I have used my wipers every day since the wiper motor was replaced the first time.) Anybody got any advice on how to track down this wiper motor problem. I'm frazzled!

Old 02-18-07, 06:45 PM
Things I'd try:
1. Connect jumper wires directly from the battery to the motor to see if it will run.
2. If so, check the voltage drop across the motor terminals. Would expect battery voltage.
3. Look for high resistance (corroded connections) in the circuit. Could be the corroded terminal resistance plus the motor resistance is adding up to too much resistance for the circuit. If you have an ohmeter you can check resistance from fuse panel both ways (disconnect battery first) for higher than expected resistance.

Old 02-18-07, 09:28 PM
J
Make sure you're using the correct amp fuse. Check wires for exposed insulation that could be shorting to ground.

Old 02-19-07, 10:56 PM
Y
still confused by wipers..........

Thanks for the info guys.........I do have another question that is bothering me. I was unable to play with the wiper moter today. (I got stuck working a double.) My neighbor was off work and he played with it a little. I am using the correct amp fuse. According to my neighbor, there is no corrosion at the plug or bare spots along any of the wiring. (He was going to bring a ohmeter home from work later today to check everything else out) but.........he did try one more fuse.....and it blew right away. Then he really played with the wiper switch, (which is on the column) and the blinker switch, and the tilt wheel. After he jockeyed these all around, he put in another fuse and the wipers started working. Could there be a wire getting pinched somewhere in the column that could be blowing the fuses? I do drive with the tilt all the way down in its lowest position, and I tilt it up to get out of the vehicle. If this is a possibility, does that mean that the steering column has to be taken apart to check it out?

Old 02-20-07, 09:07 AM
Since your friend was able to get it working by playing with the wiper switch, the blinker switch, and the tilt wheel, I suspect the problem is a shorted wire in the steering column. And, since you mentioned that you tilt the wheel down and back up each time you use the vehicle, I suspect that is the cause.

Your friend may have moved the wires in such a way that the problem won't occur again -- if you get lucky. You might just want to leave it be for now -- "if it ain't broke don't fix it!" Pulling a steering wheel is a major job; and even then, it could still be a bear to track down the faulty wire.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: