1992 Buick LaSebra Limited overheating and vapor Locking..

Old 02-18-07, 09:24 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry 1992 Buick LaSebra Limited overheating and vapor Locking..

First, what the heck is vapor locking? Then I have an on going problem with overheating. I've changed the raditor cap, all the hoses, checked for leaks and still it overheats. Tomorrow we are checking the thermostat. Is there anything else we should look at?

Old 02-19-07, 04:04 AM
J
Vapor lock is when the fuel boils and vaporizizes in the fuel line, the pump can no longer pump it and you stop. Overheating can cause vapor lock if the fuel line is too close to the engine or exhaust. The first place to look for overheating problems is low fluid and its' cause, the next is the thermostat.

Old 02-19-07, 05:39 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
And vapor lock is almost exclusively a problem on carbureted cars; the basic design of fuel injection systems prevents it. Someone suggested you had a vapor lock problem?

Head gasket? Does it loose coolant at all, i.e. do you have to top off the tank/radiator very often? Also, although not very common, corroded water pump; I've seen them with the pump impeller vanes corroded down to nubs.

Old 02-19-07, 06:14 AM
K
If you can safely do so, check your radiator to see if it's gargling. This would indicate a blown head gasket introducing exhaust gases into the coolant causing your overheating problems.

Old 02-19-07, 04:18 PM
D
Angry Got a new problem

Thank you for all the help. But now I have another problem. When I put water in, it runs out as fast as I put it in!! Seems to be running out from under the serpentine belt. Is that the water pump? The hoses all look good so that isn't the problem HELP!!

Old 02-19-07, 05:40 PM
K
I think you've found your problem. It does sound like the water pump is leaking and causing your engine to overheat.

Old 02-19-07, 05:42 PM
W
Buick motor eh????..............2 things come to mind.........1 is the plastic nipple from the frt of the intake..........They break with time............2 is the plastic intake manifold.........They crack and dump coolant into the rear cyls.........Are we talking vapor lock or HYDROSTATIC lock????

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: