Service engine soon light on, 2003 Lincoln

Old 02-23-07, 01:44 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry Service engine soon light on, 2003 Lincoln

Service engine light has been on through several tanks of gas, gas cap on tight, any suggestions other than diagnostics thru the dealer ???

Old 02-23-07, 02:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Bring this vehicle to a Autozone type store and they can read the trouble codes for FREE. The hook up a little handheld device called a OBDII reader to the computer port.

Report back here with the codes so we can further troubleshoot.

Also, sometimes these lights come on when a oil change is due. Dealers program this into the computers.

Get the codes read for free first.

Old 02-24-07, 08:05 AM
S
Thanks for the info Mark, I will def. give Autozone a try, & I know about the oil change % thing, re-set & no help, Will adv what Autzone comes up with, thanks again....Tom

Old 02-27-07, 08:58 AM
S
AutoZone Diagnostics

OK...AutoZone test came up with a P0128...The PCM determined that the input from the coolant temp sensor indicates a temp value that is below the thermostat requlating temp........Fixes are...1...Coolant level low.....2..Thermostat bad.........3...Eng coolant temp bad... My coolant level is OK, so apparently what I need to know now is, 1....Where is the thermostat located 2....Where is the Eng coolant temp sender located ??? Help would be appreciated.........Thanks Tom

Old 02-27-07, 02:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Upvotes on 201 Posts
Follow the upper radiator hose to the engine; the thermostat is usually under the housing the hose connects to. Two things if you do the thermostat - make sure the gasket surfaces are completely cleaned of old gasket material to avoid leaks, and ensure you install the thermostat facing the right direction. Coolant sensor will be either screwed into the block or the intake manifold. Have a parts store show you one so you know what it looks like.

Old 02-27-07, 04:05 PM
S
Thermostat & coolant sensor location....

Thanks Tow Guy, I will give this a try & post results.....Tom

Old 02-28-07, 06:26 AM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Upvotes on 201 Posts
There'll probably be two coolant sensors, one for the temp gauge/idiot light and one for the computer. May be able to decypher which is which by disconnecting one to see if the temp gauge/idiot light stops working; the coolant sensor for the computer will be the other one. I don't know that it's always true, but generally I think the sensor for the gauge/light is in the block and the one for the computer is in the intake manifold, often near the thermostat housing.

Old 02-28-07, 06:39 AM
S
Thanks again Tow Guy, I will check.....Tom

Old 03-01-07, 12:17 PM
S
Service engine soon light....

I just found out that one of the sensors is in the same circuit with the electric fan, which works OK, & the other one is in the circuit with the temp gauge, which also works OK....Also I could re-boot the computer by dis-connecting the Bat...BUT...this would cause a host of other problems...My local repair shop can diagnose the problem, but would be $80 just for the hook-up plus the fix, I'm beginning to think the guy who suggested a little duck tape over the light is not such a bad idea....disgusted....Tom

Old 03-13-07, 08:02 AM
S
Talking Service Engine Light....

Latest development....My Odomoter(not sure how to spell that), just turned over 42K & my Service Engine Light CLEARED ???, was this a maint. reminder, such as replace fuel filter etc. ??? What-ever, Problem solved !!!

Old 03-13-07, 10:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Strange. Hopefully it stays out. Dealers do program service reminders into the vehicle, so that might have been it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: