Brake lights won't work

Old 02-23-07, 05:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Brake lights won't work

Hi guys. I have a 94 Camry who's brake lights just quit. I've checked all the fuses I could find, and they all had continuity. I'm thinking it might be a relay?.... I'm looking for another fuse block <besides the one under the hood>. Any ideas?

Last edited by joshmack; 02-23-07 at 05:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-07, 06:19 PM
control module

If memory serves me right I think your Toyota has a control module (a electronic box) for back lights. Think it is someplace in the trunk. Do a google search to make sure.

Old 02-23-07, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the idea....I've actually got them working again, wiggled some wires by the fuse block <under dash> and they started working again....amazing lol. Just hope I can find the loose connection tomorrow.

Old 02-23-07, 07:02 PM
Should be another fuse box in the left kick panel........Sometimes one in the right too.........Do you hear a click when you depress the brake pedal????..........If all else fails....test light to switch

Old 02-23-07, 07:47 PM
Actually, there isn't a click when I depress the brake pedal, but <was> previously a click when I tried to shift out of Park, and the shifter button wouldn't press in all the way, so it couldn't be shifted. I started to think that the brake pedal safety switch was shot, so I had to rig the manual override switch in order to shift out of park. Do you think these problems could have anything to do with one another?

Old 02-24-07, 06:07 AM
when did problem start

Did problem start after your bypass? Also if the switch functions as a multifunction switch for saftey interlock and lights I would replace it.So yes it is possible they are connected.
Dont think a switch is that much money but if it is you can always go to wrecking yard.

Old 02-24-07, 07:36 AM
Thanks Michael, I'll look into it.......and thanks to everyone.

Old 02-24-07, 09:19 PM
Found the problem: bad brake light switch @ the pedal.....replaced it, and the lights work like a champ! Also, the shifter safety switch activates normally now....2 birds w/ one stone. The old switch would work about once every 5 times....gummed up I guess, or just wore out. Thanks to all who replied!

Old 02-25-07, 06:25 AM
outstanding

Outstanding glad you got it fixed and glad you posted back letting us know the problem was the switch.