2002 Monte Carlo Battery Drain Problem

Old 02-25-07, 04:25 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
2002 Monte Carlo Battery Drain Problem

Something is draining my battery and it does it overnight. On the other hand, If disconnect the negative terminal and let the car sit overnight; the next morning the car starts fine.

I've replaced the battery and had the charging system tested; I even took the alternator and battery out of the car and had them bench tested at two different places just to make sure it isn't a charging system component or battery problem that didn't show up on the charging system test.

So, now I need to find what’s pulling enough current to drain the battery overnight…….I’m thinking of putting an ammeter on the battery and simply start pulling fuses one at a time until I find the circuit that’s the culprit.

My multi-meter doesn’t have a DC-Amp function so I was thinking of going to AutoZone and buying one of those cheap analog (needle type) ammeters you mount on the dashboard; not mount it and just use it handheld for this job. I think I’ve seen them for 15 or 20 bucks. Are these type of meters sensitive enough for this type of work?

What do you think? Any other ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Phil

Old 02-25-07, 04:58 AM
J
Your plan sounds like the best way to find the root of the problem, but a quick check of things like underhood, trunk and glove box lights that should be out, might help.

Old 02-25-07, 05:09 AM
P
Bill,
Yeah, I forgot to mention that.......it's one of the first things I looked for. I checked to make sure the glove box, trunk, dome/door and all other bulbs were not lit with all the doors closed.

Just off the top of my head, Im leaning towards a problem with the keyless entry/alarm system. I had to replace the battery in the keypad on my keychain, but still, I was never able to get the system to work even after installing the new battery. I don't know if it's a bad keypad or if the problem with the keyless entry system on the car itself.
Thanks,
Phil

Old 02-25-07, 05:38 AM
M
needs program

The key fob needs to be reprogramed after battery replacment Go to the dealer and ask the service manager. (should be free). Or do a googlr search.

Old 11-21-09, 08:47 AM
F
Originally Posted by Philossifer
Bill,
Yeah, I forgot to mention that.......it's one of the first things I looked for. I checked to make sure the glove box, trunk, dome/door and all other bulbs were not lit with all the doors closed.
Did you find the problem?
Aren't these items connected to fuses? Won't pulling the fuses disable the done/door, glove box, trunk, and hood bulbs?

Old 11-21-09, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
2 yr old thread, please check dates....thx

Old 03-08-11, 05:36 PM
J
Battery drain fixed?

Were you ever able to trace down this problem? I'm having the same one.
Thanks!

Old 04-30-11, 08:43 AM
F
The OP's last date of activity for this forum was 03-22-11 08:04 PM

So he's still around and may not have a subscription to this thread. You might want to PM him to get a reply to your question because he might not have the option to email notification of replies enabled. I asked the same question 2 years ago and it is now 4 years later.

Good Luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: