Tire Time

Old 01-02-12, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Tire Time

Anyone ever use Toyo tires? They seem to be what most places carry out here, along with the big brands. Mostly get good reviews (except for snow for what I'm looking at..but thats not an issue), for the price I mean, of course. Sure I could buy Michelin or Dunlop for $250 more, but that won't happen.

Wifes Mazda Tribute finally needs new tires...just don't trust them for her 400-500 drives alone to LA, SD, or Phoenix. Turns out they are almost 10 yrs old and have close to 70-80K miles. Also they were A/T which we really don't need anymore out here.

Looked at Yokohama, Toyo, Bridgestone (what she has now...good tires over their life, but got noisy and never rode that that well on longer trips). Even considered Falken, Cooper and Khumo....but just don't like what I heard/read for her needs.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with them other than on a car vs a SUV? Though all comments are welcome.

Old 01-02-12, 03:49 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 67 Upvotes on 52 Posts
I'm not much of a name brand guy but when it came time to get new tires for my wife I went with Michelin based on the rave reviews of the tire at Tire Rack. She is very happy with the way they ride and handle on the car. I just put a set of Khumo tires on my Ranger 2 weeks ago so I can't tell you how good or bad they are yet.

Old 01-02-12, 04:03 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
While I've seen the Toyo's for sale I've never used or really heard anything about them. I've run Bridgestone and Cooper on SUVs and my old work van - have no complaints. I generally buy tires based on tread design needed and low price

I've bought Dunlap several different times and the price was reasonable

Old 01-02-12, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Bridgestone is all I use. Truck and car. Never an issue. Had good year RSA's once and got 94,000 miles out of them.

I sold Toyos as a kid working in a tire store. They were High end in the 1980's and were more expensive then any other brand. But then again they were only performance tires back then. If they make regular basic tires know I would be leary.

Hey you have bridgestones and they were good to you my saying is stick with what you know and what works.

A big example is my harley tires. Everone tells me to change them to a different brand etc... Sure there are cheaper tires, or tires that grip better and less noise for the sacrifice of mileage etc...

I keep putting dunlops on the bike because I know what they can do. I know the mileage to withing 500 miles, how hard I could bank the bike without the tires sliding out, what to expect in the rain, etc...

A car is know different and if your wife was safe all these years with bridgstone buy them again. Plus she can know what to expect from the same tire in terms of handling and performance.

My two cents

Mike NJ

Old 01-03-12, 08:45 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
I've had Toyos come with a couple of cars I bought and I didn't have any problems with them. That said, I buy Goodyear tires exclusively.

Old 01-03-12, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Well...went with the Toyos from a smaller local shop. Wife absolutely loves them. Smoother, quieter ride and the handling is much better. We probably only do MAYBE 7-8K a year, so they should last til the SUV dies. Matter of fact I checked an old receipt and I had a repair on the tires done in early 2007...and I have less than 20K more miles than then. Even though it sat for 9 months because of a bad tranny, thats still only about 6K/yr.

Mike...the Bridgestones we had were a semi-off road tread and the only reason I got them was because the OEM rears were badly cupped due to bad shocks at about 25-30K. I had a friend at the Firestone store and I got the Dueler A/Ts for a really really good price (like $125 ea installed w/road hazard). Couldn't pass that up. Plus we were in VA where we actually had to deal with snow occasionally. No one around here carried a Bridgestone in the tread I was looking for and would have to ship them in. The price would have also been about $40 more per tire...ouch!

Kinda tough being out here in the boonies. Only one national store and their prices were just over the top, even for their house brand. One other place quoted me $50 more for the exact same tires and coverage and another was $20 less, but for a lessor rated tire.

We skipped the Road Hazard, I just didn't feel it was warranted for our driving. So $650 out the door. Thats only about $150 more than I payed almost 10 yrs ago, but it sure seems like a big chunk of change.

Old 01-03-12, 11:30 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
These days $650 installed for SUV tires is pretty good. My brother's FIL was complaing about the $1100 it was going to cost to put the same tires as OEM on his Acura MDX.

Old 01-03-12, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
I should put my foot in my mouth. BF Goodrick KO all terrains for the truck.... Ugg How did I mess that up. It just sounds like bridgestone.

For the car I like the bridgestones. I would use good year but they are too expensive. The RSA for the grand prix retail for $161.00 bucks a piece.

Old 01-03-12, 05:30 PM
Received 61 Upvotes on 52 Posts
1. do not expect much noise reduction in small SUV. it's the tirewells in the back. excellent acoustic apmplifiers.
2. I have both Toyos on my truck and Yokos on my Camry. I am content with both
3. I have bad experience with Miche-s. they hydroplane.

ahhm, ok. let me start my tune:

craigslist. CRAIGSLIST. CRAIGSLIST.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: