Auto Transmision Question

Old 02-27-07, 02:03 PM
Auto Transmision Question

Car - chevy metro 2000 w MX17 automatic. It has developed a problem whereby when cold sometimes R is missing and also second. Other times R is there but no first - goes into second instead.

From analyzing the hydarulics my conclusion is that it is either a sticking 1-2 shift vale or the second brake solenoid jamming. I have a spare valve body that I intend to take apart, rebuild and swap out with the exising valve body and also replace the solenoid but my question is - why would a shift valve stick when cold. Could be just be some sludge/debris or could it have warped thereby needing replacement.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-07, 02:17 PM
Group Moderator
Have you had it checked for codes, Rav? Tranny codes do not always turn on the CEL.

Old 02-28-07, 12:10 AM
No actually I have not checked for codes yet - the CEL light is off. At least on my car the ECU cannot really pinpoint mechanical problems with the transmission. In some cases it can infer a problem (eg rpm too high for vehicle speed when for example a gear is missing) but the code you get can be misleading. I'm fairly certain the problem is what I mentioned in my earlier post although I'm not sure if simply cleaning out the valves will fix it or if the valves may actually be damaged. I will probably rebuild the spare valve body, clean it out and install new gaskets and have it ready to be swapped out. I guess it would also be worth changing the solenoid out - luckily I have spare for that also.

Old 02-28-07, 06:07 AM
Group Moderator
I think you're probably on the right track, rav.