91 f-150 vibration problem

Old 02-28-07, 05:38 PM
91 f-150 vibration problem

Hi, first I would like to thank anybody who can help. I have a vibration in my truck, but it is only while I accelerate, and I believe it is only in OD. I started by replacing inner and outer tie-rods on both sides, that didnt fix the problem.
then I replaced tranny mount and found a few bolts missing in the crossmember, thought that had to be it- but it wasnt.Tried adjusting the shift linkage and still didnt fix it. I have checked motor mounts and ujoints , I beleive it is in the drivetrain, torqe converter maybe or something related to the tranny. The tranny shifts fine in all gears but it just vibrates the whole truck in high gear.Kinda a buzzing more than anything grinding, would like to hear any ideas you have. THANKS Josh

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-07, 05:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Have you checked the balance of the tires and the condition of them?

Have you observed the rear differential? Check fluid and see how much metal shavings come out with the fluid.

You already replaced the tie-rods, so I won't go there.

Is the whole vehicle vibrating, or just a certain area? i.e. steering wheel, etc.

There is a possibility it is the drivetrain, but lets see about those easier and cheaper possibilities.

Welcome to the forums!

Old 02-28-07, 06:18 PM
Thanks for having me Mark. Sorry I should have said the tires are fine, I have not looked at the rear end fluid, I did get under the truck and have someone shift through all the gears to see if anything appeared out of place or out of ordinary.Everyhing appears ok. the vibration is in the front of the truck. My first guess was steering/suspension, I am pretty mechanically inclined but I am stumped on this one.I had a friend which knows alot more than me look and ride in it and he thinks for some reason the torqe converter is not locking all the way or something. I am lost when it comes to auto trannys. It does not start doing this until warms up a little, I have to drive it around the block a couple of time before it starts, and it does not matter how fast Im going. It is not constant, only in acceleration.Thank you

Old 02-28-07, 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
Thanks for having me Mark. Sorry I should have said the tires are fine, I have not looked at the rear end fluid, I did get under the truck and have someone shift through all the gears to see if anything appeared out of place or out of ordinary.Everyhing appears ok. the vibration is in the front of the truck. My first guess was steering/suspension, I am pretty mechanically inclined but I am stumped on this one.I had a friend which knows alot more than me look and ride in it and he thinks for some reason the torqe converter is not locking all the way or something. I am lost when it comes to auto trannys. It does not start doing this until warms up a little, I have to drive it around the block a couple of time before it starts, and it does not matter how fast Im going. It is not constant, only in acceleration.Thank you
I would start looking at the drive line (trans. driveshaft ect)
If it has a 2 piece drive shaft, the hanger bearing in the middle needs replacing.
If it has a 1 piece d/shaft check the uv joints

Old 02-28-07, 10:35 PM
Sorry also check the engine mounts

Kiwi

Search this Thread