Anyone know to remove a broken key from a vehicle lock?

Old 03-01-07, 12:29 PM
Anyone know to remove a broken key from a vehicle lock?

I had a key break off in my trunk lock. I need to get the broken half out, Is this a do it yourself job? or does it require a locksmith?

Anyone know how do it?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-07, 01:32 PM
Group Moderator
See if this helps; it mainly concerns house keys, but the idea is the same:

http://www.goldkeyselect.com/brokenkey.php
http://www.articlecity.com/articles/home_improvement/article_1778.shtml

Old 03-01-07, 02:06 PM
Door lock or Ign?
If Its a door loock fine twissers should work
if ign use the other end of broken key and make sure the key is turned to off and in position to come out, then use a very small amount of super glue and slowly insert onto the broken key wait 30secs and slowly pull out. It has worked for me in the pass. but renember go EASY on the glue.

Old 03-01-07, 03:37 PM
DON'T USE SUPER GLUE!!!!

What kind of vehicle? Going to depend on how to remove. Is any part of the broken key visible or is it completely behind the shutter cap?

Old 03-01-07, 04:48 PM
Its in the trunk lock, and its a crown victoria. I can see the key, and the shutter cap is not functioning properly. It just floats now instead of being spring loaded.

3/4 of the key is in the lock, it broke off damn near he head of the key.

Old 03-02-07, 03:04 AM
if you can see part of the key you can try to pull out with a good strong needle nose or other pliers if you have.

Locksmiths would use a key extractor which is a flat tool with a little hook on the end - basically you slide in and it bites into the key as you pull back. Homemade best bet is a large paperclip and flatten with a hammer and try to make small hook or bend at tip with either a file or through bending.

As for the shutter cap floating around.... it should be fixed as it will continue to float around for a while but eventually dirt, grease, etc will clog it up and you won't be able to use lock. Once you get a new key made and can open trunk to remove lock is a repair you can make yourself.

Also, most common reason Ford trunk keys break is deep cut near head or key. Keep that lock lubricated and watch for hairline breaks in keys and get replacement if you notice.

Hope this helps......

Old 03-02-07, 05:09 AM
In the past I have used a paper clip to fish it out enough to get needlenose pliers on it.

Old 03-03-07, 11:26 AM
I'm having no luck getting this key out. I've tried a paper clip w/ super glue, a jigsaw blade, and super glue on the other half of the key to try and pull it out with no luck.

Problem is the broken half leaves no room for a paper clip to slide in past it to allow it to be fished out.

Old 03-03-07, 01:36 PM
Have you tried spraying WD-40 or another lubricant in the lock? Alot of times the pins or wafers in the lock will 'freeze' into position into the cuts of the key. Some lubrication will give them breathing room and should help the key slide out.

Does the car have a trunk release button? Is there an access behind the back seat?

Old 03-04-07, 11:49 AM
Yes the car does have a trunk release button.

Old 03-04-07, 01:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Perhaps the poster asking you that realizes then that you could conceivably remove the lock cylinder and perhaps push the key out from the rear of the cylinder, or something? *I* did that with a broken off house key a few months ago.

Old 03-04-07, 05:22 PM
broken key

Originally Posted by DaVeBoy View Post
Perhaps the poster asking you that realizes then that you could conceivably remove the lock cylinder and perhaps push the key out from the rear of the cylinder, or something? *I* did that with a broken off house key a few months ago.
have you tried a magnet?

Old 03-05-07, 05:00 AM
Originally Posted by dadio View Post
have you tried a magnet?
considering keys are made of brass a magnet will not work.

If you can open the trunk, take the lock out. Should be a cap - looks like small strip of metal on top of lock. Remove this and carefully take springs and pins out keeping them organized so you can put back in their right place. Actually is probably only the first one closest to the face of the lock that is your problem. Broken piece will fall out, put lock back together and get a new key cut.

Should fix your problem but if not let us know