Replacing Parking Brake Cable on Jeep

Old 03-03-07, 04:02 PM
Replacing Parking Brake Cable on Jeep

I have a '94 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 4-wheel drive, 4.0 L engine and rear drum brakes. I am trying to change the parking brake cable and I am having a problem removing the cable from the backing plate as there is a retainer that goes around the cable and spreads out on the inside the backing plate, keeping the cable from being pulled out. I tried compresses the clip, but I still cannot remove it. Anyone run into this or have a trick on removing it? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-07, 05:00 PM
It sometimes takes a little effort, but it can be done the way you are doing it already. I have found that the best way to do it is to take a screwdriver and push on each spine one at a time while angling the cable towards that spline. Then just work your way around till its out.
I hope this helps ya,
Billy

Old 03-03-07, 05:10 PM
Gotcha on this one Bill..............Use a 1/2 in or 13mm closed end wrench........Tap it down on the springs and the cable will pull right out

Old 03-04-07, 11:13 AM
Thanks Wrench, Ive never actually tried that one, I was thinking about maybe a piece of 3/8 hose or something, but I will have to keep that in mind. I havent done alot of those over the years so I usually grab whats handy... LOL
Billy

Old 03-04-07, 07:35 PM
Good tip - the 1/2" closed end wrench worked perfect. Thanks.

Another question - I am also trying to remove the ABS wheel speed sensor from the back plate in order to remove the axle. Now that I have the parking brake cable removed, the last cable attached is from the ABS. The problem I am having is the hole in the back plate is not large enough to fit the sensor out of. Any tip on this one.