Alternator testor

Old 03-06-07, 06:00 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Alternator testor

I am looking for someone who can tell me how assemble a test fixture for an automotive alternator. I know that I need an electric motor to turn the alt in the correct direction, and a 12 volt battery also. I also will have the correct voltage regulator to match the alt. This rig is to be used to do bench checks on a collector truck of one type only. 1973 to 1983 Ford Courier. I have a number of spare alternators, and do not want to keep re-installing them after rebuild just to check them out. I am looking for a wiring schematic for this project.

Old 03-07-07, 02:20 AM
P
Not sure if this is what you're after, but I google searched "home made alternator tester" and came up with this link; http://www.cardomain.com/ride/262575/12

Good luck.

Pecos

Old 03-07-07, 03:39 PM
F
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Do you have a wiring schematic from the Ford Courier installation? That would be a good start. If you need one, some public libraries carry 'Motors Electrical Scematics' manuals for vehicals and the Courier should covered. You would just copy the portion of the battery, ignition switch, idiot light or ammeter, and alternator portion of the wiring.

I have tested alternators (crudely, I agree) by driving them off the belt of a motor/belt driven grinder while someone watches a voltmeter. Hey, it works in a pinch.

Old 03-07-07, 06:11 PM
R
Alternator testor

Yo!!!! Pecos; I am having trouble getting the cardomain site to work, am I missing something??

Old 03-07-07, 07:08 PM
P
I just now typed in the address exactly as I posted it and it came up for me. Are you sure you typed everything exactly as shown?

Old 03-07-07, 07:18 PM
R
alternator tester.

Yo Pecos!!!!! I finally found it. Iforgot the .com. Unfortunately not what I am looking for. That is a unit to plug into a lighter socket. I want to build a test bench unit. Thanks for your help; Lenny

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: