1997Mazda 626 auto trans filter change out

Old 03-08-07, 08:28 AM
Unhappy 1997Mazda 626 auto trans filter change out

I have a 1997 Mazda 626 4 cyl 2.0 l with auto trans The trans oil pan is removed but I do not see the filter, I have a new pan gasket and filter. The gasket is correct but not sure if I should take the valve body off to find the filter. HELP

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-07, 11:25 AM
Thumbs up Trans pan

Originally Posted by smoe View Post
I have a 1997 Mazda 626 4 cyl 2.0 l with auto trans The trans oil pan is removed but I do not see the filter, I have a new pan gasket and filter. The gasket is correct but not sure if I should take the valve body off to find the filter. HELP
You dont need to remove the valve body.
Look at the new filter and locate what looks like what you have.
Are you shure you removed the trans pan and not the oil pan???
The trans pan should mach the gasket you have if not, you removed the oil pan.

Old 03-08-07, 11:56 AM
Sure it is the trans pan, trans fluid came out and looking at the what is normally the valve body. Gasket fits but there is no filter that I can see. Sounds strange but I have changed trans oil for many years on a lot of cars but never run in to this before? Trans pan is not on the bottom but located on the side towards the front of the car? Any help would be great.

Old 03-08-07, 01:20 PM
a little help?

I looked into buying one of these cars a few years ago, since they are cheap to buy.

I passed, because according to many internet postings Mazda used a Ford tranny on the automatic 4 cyl cars and they all went south before 70K. The big-time Ford defenders say that the owners are to blame since they did not flush the tranny every 12,000 miles. You will not find this recommendation in the owner's manual, the owner should just know it from birth. Additionally, these same sites generally held that ther is no pan or fillter and you flush via the dipstick. Sounds like a better idea?

I just report what I read. good luck.

Old 03-08-07, 02:03 PM
Found it is a Ford CD4E or Mazda LA4A-EL which is the same. Covers a lot of cars with this trans but still has to be a way to change this filter? Would like any help and will pass on the best way I find. Still looking!!!

Old 03-09-07, 10:56 AM
Group Moderator
Looks prettty straightforward here:

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/14/3c/49/0900823d80143c49.jsp

Old 03-10-07, 02:16 AM
Trans has to come apart to replace. Not a very good design!!!! I found that a remote filter can be placed on the car and a oil cooler is a good idea also. Thanks for the advice.