Astro Van won't go into park

Old 03-09-07, 04:58 PM
gbb

I drive a 1999 Chevy Astro van 4.3 L, automatic (w/OD) with 93,000 mi. Recently I've been unable to get the shifter to lock into the Park position on the column shifter. Everything else works fine. I shift into neutral to start and off I go. When I park, I can't get the shifter to stay in park. The shifter moves into the position, but doesn't engage or lock into position. I've rediscovered my parking brake and curbing my wheels. Any tips before I tear the linkage apart?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-07, 06:31 PM
Will it actually go into park, but just not lock? Can you start it with it in park? It sounds like you have a problem with the park sprag mayve worn or broken. You may want to take it to a trans shop for this. The pan needs to be removed and possibly the valve body if it is something higher up.
Good luck,
Billy

Old 03-10-07, 07:01 AM
Sounds like you have park when you hold the lever in?? If thats the case, then your problem is in the shift column,not in the transmission

Old 08-20-07, 08:39 PM
gbb

I fixed this a while ago and wanted to get back in case others had the same problem. Mine was a simple fix that just involved crawling underneath and inspecting the linkage at the tranny. One linkage bracket bolt was loose and the other missing. I guess I did too many neutral bangs... Just kidding.
Thanks all.
gary