2001 Ford Focus Wagon - Squeaky driver front tire

Old 03-10-07, 08:27 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
2001 Ford Focus Wagon - Squeaky driver front tire

Hi all, wanted to first say what a great forum... a wealth of information.

On to my problem. 6 months ago we had the tires replaced on our 2001 Focus Wagon. Since then there is a regular squeaky noise coming from the front driver-side tire. The noise increases in frequency the faster you go seeming to disappear altogether at around 50 mph (I assume because it becomes a near constant noise drowned out by the increased engine noise.) Upon braking the noise seems to disappear, unless you're listening very carefully at which point you here a very faint pusating grinding noise decreasing in frequency as the car slows down.

Wasn't very alarmed with the noise until we went on our first long trip and I noticed the severe reduction in gas mileage, 30-35 highway down to around 20-25. Now I finally have the time to address this issue and am curious as to what it might be.

The car is in alignment. I was thinking it might be an issue with the rotors, or the wheel bearing. Any insight would be very helpful.

Old 03-11-07, 08:11 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Do these tires have proper air pressure? Should be at 35psi. That would explain the drop in gas mileage.

The squek may be from pads brake pads to a warped rotor and possibly the front bearings. The fact that you said the noise dissappears when you apply the brakes make's me think it's the brakes.

Old 03-11-07, 08:14 AM
You really need to remove the wheel for a look-see.

Many possibilities for the problem: wheel bearing,brake pads,warped rotor,
caliper,overtightned wheel lug nuts.

Old 03-11-07, 08:45 AM
B
Tire pressure is fine. I have to do the oil and some maintenance on the car this week I'll take a look at the break pads to see if they show unusual wearing which would suggest either rotor or caliper disfunction. How would I know if it was the wheel bearing?

Old 03-11-07, 10:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
A bad bearing will make a humming type noise as speeds increase.

Old 03-11-07, 11:07 AM
B
It's not a humming noise. I'm suspecting the brakes for now but I'll know more when I get under there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: