96 LeSabre oil pressure question

Old 03-10-07, 08:20 PM
96 LeSabre oil pressure question

I have a 96 LeSabre with 107,000 miles on it. On Friday I had a mechanic put new spark plug wires in it. After about 10 miles from the shop, my oil pressure guage flat-lined and the small red light within the gauge also went on.

The car was driven another 2 miles in that condition with no probems. Engine sounds just fine and when I took the oil cap off the engine, there apprears to be fresh oil on the top inside the engine at that spot.

I think it may be the oil pressure sensor may have failed either by coincidence or as a result of what the mechanic may have accidently done. He is a very reputable guy.

Any ideas on what might be causing this?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-07, 08:17 AM
I would suspect that the mechanic might have dislodged a wire,or broke a wire installing the plug wires.
bring it back.

Old 03-11-07, 04:16 PM
96 LeSabere oil pressure issue

I agree. I think a wire was dislodged or the sensor was about to go and they may have bumped it hard enough for it to die.

Thanks.

Old 03-11-07, 05:08 PM
that was my first thought as i had a wire connector taken off to reach a plug wire,and neglected to put it back on.
Good luck and please post back.

Old 03-11-07, 08:33 PM
possumgraper
Visiting Guest
Yeah, if your gauge flat lined you would have heard a lot of clattering and rattling followed by a screeching sound of an engine locking up and then you would be stranded. Most likely a loose wire or a bad sending unit.

Old 03-11-07, 11:09 PM
Originally Posted by bmwgolfguy View Post
I have a 96 LeSabre with 107,000 miles on it. On Friday I had a mechanic put new spark plug wires in it. After about 10 miles from the shop, my oil pressure guage flat-lined and the small red light within the gauge also went on.

The car was driven another 2 miles in that condition with no probems. Engine sounds just fine and when I took the oil cap off the engine, there apprears to be fresh oil on the top inside the engine at that spot.

I think it may be the oil pressure sensor may have failed either by coincidence or as a result of what the mechanic may have accidently done. He is a very reputable guy.

Any ideas on what might be causing this?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
the wire on the gage could have come off, I dont think it was the sending unit, rearly do thy just stop working unless the wire comes off.
Look around by the oil filter for the sending unit and see if it is unpluged.