2000 Chevy Malibu - Electrical Issue

Old 03-11-07, 08:12 PM
2000 Chevy Malibu - Electrical Issue

I have a 2000 Chevy Malibu V6 3.1L with about 76k miles. Recently we have noticed some new electrical issues. At times, when you start the car the fuel gauge, temp gauge, headlights, A/C blower, power locks, and power windows will all be dead. Shutting off and restarting the car will often resolve the issue. In addition, driving a block or two will often resolve the issue. There seems to be no other related issues going on, the car drives and handles just fine regardless of the issue. I have no check engine lights or anything like that.

Thanks in advance!
Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-07, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by ffemtp628 View Post
I have a 2000 Chevy Malibu V6 3.1L with about 76k miles. Recently we have noticed some new electrical issues. At times, when you start the car the fuel gauge, temp gauge, headlights, A/C blower, power locks, and power windows will all be dead. Shutting off and restarting the car will often resolve the issue. In addition, driving a block or two will often resolve the issue. There seems to be no other related issues going on, the car drives and handles just fine regardless of the issue. I have no check engine lights or anything like that.

Thanks in advance!
Chris
Check the ground cable. Im talking about removeing the cable and looking at where it connects to the battery. Peal back the black connecter and check for crosion.

Old 03-12-07, 07:50 PM
Tried the negative battery cable, it all seems to be fine. No corrosion or anything I can visualize, took it off, cleaned it up with some fine grit sandpaper, and bolted it back on well. I mentioned my issue to a coworker today and they seemed to think it sounded like an ignition switch. Does this seem plausible?

-Chris