Noisy power steering 95 Bonneville

Old 03-12-07, 09:08 AM

I have searched the forums regarding my problem and found that most of you are not new to repairing cars. I am mostly ignorant and I hope someone can reply to my question in laymman's terms, as well as with patience. This concerns my wonderful 1995 Bonneville...it has been nearly trouble free and runs like a champ at 145,000 miles. My ex has a shop and recently re-tapped the power steering bolts going into the head because of noise. They are no longer metric...now 5/16 mounting bolts. The noise has now returned. It is continuous, there is no leaking, the steering is perfect, the sound does not increase or decrease with turning nor with acceleration/decelleration. I swallowed my pride and called the ex...he gave me the above info and said that the bolts to the head may have loosened. I just did a road trip (moved) of over 1800 miles if this is significant. So, as I am financially lacking in funds for a repairman to check this, I want to know if I could do this myself and then, if necessary, take it in for someone at a shop to take a wrench to it (what would the price be average?) Can I leave it be and live with the noise till I have the cash? Where is it, what does it look like, and is it even possible for me to at least see if the bolts are loose? I am a "girl", and have been suckered on occasion by unscrupulous shops and repairmen and wish to know what's what when and if I do need to take it in.
My apologies for the length of this, and I hope I gave all the info necessary in order to get a reply. Thanks for any assistance offered!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-07, 09:29 AM
Group Moderator
Here's some info on the pump:

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/15/f1/1a/0900823d8015f11a.jsp

It's located on the right side (looking forward) of the engine compartment. It will have two hoses coming from it and the reservoir should make it pretty easy to spot.

I confess I've never heard of loose mounting bolts causing power steering noises. Power steering noises are generally from (a) low fluid, and/or (b) worn/failing pump.

First thing to check is that the fluid level is all the way up to full.

At 145,000 miles, a worn pump is certainly a possibility.

Old 03-12-07, 11:06 AM
Questions.

What kind of noise like a whine?or a clunk. Reason is cause if it were loose mounting bolts it would be a clunk or a metal to metal sound. If it is a whine it sounds hydraulic.

Old 03-12-07, 12:13 PM

Thank you for the web address, now I know what the darn thing looks like and can follow it to the head...I presume...to check bolts. As to the sound...it sounds like a loose belt to me...not that it is, but it has that irritating sound. Should I allow for that possibility?

Old 03-12-07, 03:29 PM
possible

It is possible that the bolts came loose and the belt is squeeling. Yes you need to tighten it up or your belt will be toast in a short time. Not sure on your set up but you might need a bar of some type to tighten the belt while you tighten the bolts.
The pump will have to be moved a little.

Old 03-12-07, 03:34 PM
Group Moderator
If it's a serpentine belt, could also be a bearing going on either the idler or tensioner pulleys, too, being misidentified as power steering noise.

Old 03-12-07, 03:50 PM

Thanks for all the information; it has helped me understand the problem with trying to do anything myself. Also the possibility of alternative problems. Now, when I take it to a shop, is there specific problems I should insist on checking, and only those? I don't need to be told I need new rotors or shocks!! Does anyone know a general cost for any or all of the probs? Last of all, does anyone have knowledge of a good shop with honesty and lowish hourly rates in or around (within 20, 30 miles) 85375?
Thanks again!

Old 03-12-07, 04:23 PM
check for this

Ask around to some friends and see what they reccommend. Look for ASE certified mechanics and even better if you see a BBB logo on the door.
I also look at general condition of the shop, It does not need to be spotless like a car dealer but you dont want cars sitting around on blocks parts sitting on top of roofs etc.
Dont know if you have one close to you but my shop of choice is a shop that is part of a Napa parts store a pop and son operation.

Old 03-12-07, 05:15 PM

Thanks for the info about garages...
I just moved to the state and have no one I can ask...thankfully I checked online search and found 3 shops with AAA, BBB, and ASE that are close. I will take into account the things that ya'll have told me and go get some idea what the problem is and estimates. Hopefully it'll be a quick, easy, and very cheap fix!!
Thanks for all the very useful information!!

Search this Thread