1988 Dodge Caravan water pump

Old 03-12-07, 01:38 PM
Post 1988 Dodge Caravan water pump

Hi guys,
Absolute newbie here....my 88 Dodge Caravan started making rattling sounds in the last few days and suddenly the thermostat started showing overheating. Coworkers say its the water pump and to replace the water pump costs >$550 here in Sacramento by mechanic. I bought the car second hand for $600!!
What do you guys suggest? Should I take a stab at replacing it myself (if you guys could tell me how to do it) or just suck it up and pay the money?
Thanks a lot,
S

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-07, 03:12 PM
Group Moderator
Here's the water pump procedure:

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/12/8e/ed/0900823d80128eed.jsp

Was the engine run hot for any length of time?

I wouldn't pay $550 to replace a water pump on a vehicle I paid $600 for, but I'm sure the labor rate in Sacramento is pretty high. Even so, the pump maybe costs $100, so $450 seems way more than what a water pump job should take. I don't know for certain what the book calls for, but I can't imagine it would be more than a couple of hours. I'm guessing for that much $$$ you must have one of the engines with a timing belt driven pump, which would be more expensive to do.

Old 03-12-07, 03:42 PM
as per gates

If you have the 2.2l (4cyl) you have a timing belt. this is per Gates web site.
If you tackle this job get a new belt along with your water pump. It needs replacment every 60 thousand miles anyway and is pretty cheap.