Large flash and then no power


  #1  
Old 03-13-07, 01:12 PM
I
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 39
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
67' New Yorker - Large flash and then no power

Hi,

I had been charging the battery on my 1967 Chrysler New Yorker when I got in to start it. I turned the key and there was a large flash (I couldn't tell from what direction), a pop in the speakers, and then a complete loss of power. No lights, nothing. The car had started several minutes earlier so I don't think it's the battery. I blew something, I just don't know what.

Thanks
 

Last edited by intlhuckster; 03-13-07 at 02:01 PM.
  #2  
Old 03-13-07, 03:51 PM
HotxxxxxxxOKC's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 8,033
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Disconnect the battery and look at every fuse! Also inspect your wiring harness, etc. YOu might have blown the main fuse bus and is a major fire hazard.
 
  #3  
Old 03-13-07, 03:59 PM
J
Member
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wilmington
Posts: 4,214
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Charging a battery leads to clouds of hydrogen gas around the bat., which any spark can ignite. Lucky you didn't have your head under the hood!!!!!!!!
 
  #4  
Old 03-14-07, 12:51 PM
I
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 39
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Forgive me for being ignorant, but where and what is the main fuse bus. I checked all the fuses and they look good. I briefly looked at the cables running from the battery yesterday, and I didn't see anything that looked unusual, but it's hard to tell because everthing is so filthy and old.
 

Last edited by intlhuckster; 03-14-07 at 12:52 PM. Reason: spelling
  #5  
Old 03-14-07, 02:03 PM
A
Member
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 87
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I think Bill's onto it. As a kid me and my mates would get old batterys and put them on charge in a box, we rigged a spark plug up in the box.the result was a loud bright flash that destroys the battery, sometimes not visable as it will warp the plates inside.

P.S Don't try charging the battery in the box trick.
 
  #6  
Old 03-15-07, 07:52 AM
E
Member
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: usa
Posts: 162
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
as a,c said you probably shorted out the battery seen this where pos. becomes neg. try another battery disconnect yours if you intend to use jump cables for a test.
 
  #7  
Old 03-15-07, 10:51 AM
E
Member
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: usa
Posts: 162
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
also if you dont have another batt. and use jump cable from another car leave that car off to not damage the alt. it also could be a bad ground let us know how u made out. if u use a jump just see if the interior light lights if it does change the batt. use a body ground for neg. cable pos straight to pos. with your batt totaly disconnected.
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: