Nissan Maxima Engine Stops

Old 02-15-00, 12:14 PM
Visiting Guest
Red face

Hi Smokey,
Thank you for your recommenations and advices.
I drive Nissan Maxima 19990. Recently about 1.5 month ago I went to repair shop and replaced Emission Pipe from engine to catalytic converter. Right after that replacement I start having problem with idle revolutions on engine.
Sometimes engine stops(stalling). I replaced spark plugs about 2.5 years ago and drove about 40,000 miles after that(currently it 120,000 miles on the car). I have never replace Sparkplug wires,rotor,cap.Sometimes when engine cold it hesistate to gain speed even if I press gas pedal almost all way down to the floor.
Please let me know what I should replace and in what sequence.
Thank you,
Val.

[This message has been edited by vyelizar (edited February 21, 2000).]

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-00, 01:41 PM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

As Joan Rivers says, "We need to talk!" I don't think you will like what I am about to say. What I see from your description is that you have a 10 year old car (I assume 19990 should have been 1990) with 120,000 miles on the odometer and it is giving you problems. Easily, you can get into $1200 to $1500 in repairs on this vehicle...maybe more! I can give you advice on all the things that need to be looked at and fill this string up and swamp the server. And, if you accomplished all the repairs, you would still have a ten year old car with 120,000 miles on it. Unless it has sentimental value, my advice is to move on to something newer. On a good day, you may have another year's worth of driving out of the machine after repairs.
Only guys like me take a clunker and renovate the old machines, customize them, and make hot rods out of them that the kids would die to own. I have an '85 Ford Ranger that blows the doors off most small pickups.

What I would suggest is that you donate the car to charity (see an earlier thread on this forum about Getting Rid Of The Old Clunker), take the tax rebate (it is your money anyway), and invest in another vehicle.

If you are still serious about renovating your vehicle, come back and I will unload all the horror stories on you, tell you how much it will cost, etc.

At this website, we are all professionals and donate our time to help the other guy. I have no affiliation with any advertiser on this site nor am I compensated for my time. My thing is to give the working class an even break against some pretty stiff odds.

Think about it. I care!

Smokey

Old 02-16-00, 06:07 AM
Visiting Guest
Talking

I think you right Smokey,
it is a good idea to by a new car, but I can not afford it now. So, I have to drive 2-3 years more, before I can buy new(used) car.
So,please if you can help me with yours suggestions I will realy appreciate that.
Thank you,
Val.

Old 02-16-00, 03:01 PM
Visiting Guest
Considering the miles and the age of the vehicle, first stop is ignition. New rotor, new distributor cap, new wires, and new plugs. Next is rubber parts. Hoses are a prime suspect at this age. Belts are next!
All drive belts are suspect at this point and should be replaced.
Change the oil and filter...and make one of those quarts of oil a quart of Slick-50. That will buy you some time and take some of the wear off the moving parts.
Filters! Air, oil, and fuel should be changed at this point.
Shock absorbers? Put your foot on the bumper and push the car down (both front and back). Release it suddenly. If the car bounces more than once, the shocks or struts are gone. Good candidate for replacement to save the steering and tires.
Brakes. No sense having a car that runs well if you can't stop it. Check the wear on the shoes and pads.
Trasmission: drain the oil and change the filter. Refill with new oil.
Engine ran poorly after you replaced the pipe to the catalytic converter? The converter and/or the muffler are suspect. I would plan on changing one or both. If they are clogged up with carbon from a poor running engine, the back pressure from these two items will cause the engine to run even worse.

Three years running on this machine? Since it has not been taken care of, the machine will revolt in some manner. If you make all the repairs outlined above, I still see only a year of running left.
How's the oil consumption? Anything over a quart per 1000 miles is excessive. Slick-50 will buy you some time but it is not a cure for worn engine parts.

I'd like to be more positive about this project but I have a feeling things are not going to go well from this point. A little maintenance will buy you some time but not three years.

I'm here if you need to talk further. Good luck and I hope that things go well for you.

Smokey

Old 02-17-00, 08:06 AM
Visiting Guest
Talking

Oil and transmission fluid I change according
schedule,3,000 miles and 30,000 miles.
I will try replace spark plugs, rotor, cap and wires this week. I let you know what are results.
Thank you for your help,Smokey.

Old 02-17-00, 12:00 PM
Visiting Guest
By all means come back and let us know how you are progressing. We're here to help and the price is right for the advice.

Smokey

Old 02-21-00, 06:21 AM
Visiting Guest
Talking

Hi Smokey,
I did tune up - replace spark plugs (old ones were ok), rotor,cap and sparkplug wires. Problem Still exists. I don't now what should be the next step?
Thanks,
Val.

[This message has been edited by vyelizar (edited February 21, 2000).]

Old 02-22-00, 12:09 PM
Visiting Guest
Since you never stated if the car is fuel injected or carburated, I will assume it is fuel injected and has a spark computer. If that is the case, my next suspect would be a failed oxygen sensor in the exhaust system.
That sets up the air/fuel ratio for the engine and the engine may be running too lean.

Smokey

Old 02-25-00, 05:23 PM
Visiting Guest
Talking

Yes, it has fuel injection system.
I will try to do 2 things this weekend:
1. Disconnect pipe from engine to catalytic converter and see results
2. Change oxygen sensors
I will update you with the results.
Thanks,
Val.

Old 03-01-00, 09:27 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

How is it going,
It just so happens that I work for Nissan down here in New Zealand. Fistly, most idle problems on Maximas can be caused from improper base idle speed adjustment, this needs to be done by a dealer, they plug a device into your car called a 'Consult' and adjust base idle speed normally set at 675 rpm, at the same time they can check your engine for any fault codes left in the computer. When you say emission pipe are you talking the frony exhaust pipe, if so they may have dameaged or left your oxygen sensor loose, this will cause erratic idling and high fuel consumption.

Has your car done 120000 km or miles, if km hold on to your car they are bullet proof. Watch out for waterpump failure on maximas as they are prone to problems.

I am sure that in the USA version they use a different version of the V6 we have here, the US version has a ignition coil for each cylinder, this is the most common problem I have seen on your model. There are 6 coils in all and are about 300.00 ea. (150 US).

Test the coils, or replace but if your vehicle is multivalve and DOHC then i will bet it is the coils.

I have been asked to be a moderator so you may here from me again. Cheers!!!

Old 03-03-00, 02:31 PM
Visiting Guest
I have been to New Zealand twice and both times I was awestruck with the beauty of your land. In the riches of the world, New Zealand abounds.

Happy Motoring,

Smokey

[This message has been edited by Shayne Harris (edited March 07, 2000).]

Old 11-21-01, 07:40 AM
Visiting Guest
Question woodburning fireplace

When we use our woodburning fireplace which is located on the first floor of the house, the downstairs basement fills with smoke. The fireplace does have a bottom "escape hatch" to send the ashes down to the basement for removal, but it is well sealed during fireplace use and we empty the basement trap regularly so ashes aren't sitting down there. The fireplace runs along an outside wall and is vented through a standard tile flue in the chimney. I don't remember this happening 3 years ago when we bought the house, so it seems like a more recent development.
Any ideas what's causing this, and is it fixable??

Old 07-05-06, 01:02 PM
i got ah 98 maxima gle with same problems

hey buddie did you fix it i mean get it goin cause i'm having the same problems it's stall'in on me i replaced the o2 sensor and i'm going to be change'in the pluggs in about an hour what was it that you found fixed the problem

Old 07-05-06, 01:34 PM
Hey moowin, do you know that this thread is 6 years old.

Old 07-05-06, 01:44 PM
LOL Wonder if the guy ever figure it out or if he still has the car.

Old 07-06-06, 05:57 AM
lol

no didn't relize it was that old just did a google search and this pop'ed up but this site really kick'z @#$#$ but still wonderin what's up with my car

Old 07-06-06, 06:22 AM
did you replace this tube to and it started

Search this Thread