V.W. minx 1600 pwr to both sides of coil

Old 03-14-07, 02:19 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
V.W. minx 1600 pwr to both sides of coil

My mate just got a myers minx (poor guy) and had to rewire complete. very basic job. He did it himswlf and i checked his progress. bueno job! But we went to start it no spark.
We have power to the coil on the pwr and grnd sides.I told him its a bad coil, replaced coil and still getting pwr to grnd.!!?Even when only the hot from ign is on the the + side we are getting pwr on the ground side.
Its a v.w for crying out loud what could it be? Help!!!
12 volt by the way.

Old 03-14-07, 02:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Power to a ground wire means there is a short somewhere.

Old 03-14-07, 03:41 PM
nap
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Ignition Coil Resistance check:

Check the ignition coil primary coil resistance by connecting an ohmmeter between the positive (Black wire) and negative (Green wire) terminals on the coil. The resistance should be 0.4 to 0.6 ohms.
Check the ignition coil secondary coil resistance by connecting an ohmmeter between the coil output terminal and the ignition coil negative terminal. The resistance should be 5000 to 7200 ohms.
============================

Now, before you condemn the coil or even look for a short in the wiring, are there points in the distributor? If so and you are taking a voltage check with the points OPEN, you will get a voltage reading from the coil negative terminal. If the points are closed, you should then get a reading of 0 from the neg side to ground.

If the points never close, you will consantly getg a voltage reading from the coil. Do you have a dwell meter? If so, throw it on there and see what you get from the points.

If this has electronic ignition, it will be an entirely different situation and test procedure.

Old 03-14-07, 04:19 PM
A
yes its electronic ign.
but the thing is that if i give it pwr ONLY on the + terminal im getting pwr on the grnd side. where cheking it on his sandrail at the moment to see if it is a defective coil.
thanks and i will let you know what comes of it

Old 03-14-07, 04:49 PM
nap
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
take the coil, seperately from the vehicle.

take a 12 volt battery

hook the pos to the pos side of the coil. NO OTHER CONNECTIONS.

measure from the neg of the coil to the neg of the battery.

You SHOULD have voltage present.

Now (don;t do this for very long) connect the neg term of the coil to the neg term of the batt. Measure from the neg coil term to the neg battery terminal. You should have no (or very very little) voltage. Read from the pos coil term to the neg coil term, you should read 12 volts.

Now for fun and a quick test. Same setup. grab a coil wire (high tension) install it on the coil. have your friend hold on to the coil with one hand and the end of the coil cable with the other. Now, with the pos batt term hooked to the post term of the coil take a wire and attach it to the neg term of the coil. Now touch (actually tap, like tap, tap, tap, tap) the end of that wire onto the neg term of the batt.

If your friend doesn;t smack you, go get a new coil. If he wets his pants, put the thing on the car. If you don;t get any spark then, it is in the control, not the coil.

Old 03-14-07, 04:55 PM
A
Thanks mate i will try that.
He is wise to the 20,000 volt fact.
I will have to run a wire from the coil to his seat once we fix the prob. then i will know for sure he wet himself.lol.

Old 03-14-07, 08:13 PM
A
Thanks Mark.
Found the short.the electronic ign pick up was smashed into the module,wrong rotor installed.Lucky had a spare distributer with elec ign.
started first pop, timing off 1deg. Fluke???? Yes I think so too!
Thanks for your input guys.

Kiwi.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: