1974 corvette will not turn over

Old 03-15-07, 06:29 PM
1974 corvette will not turn over

bought a project car, the interior was out of the car, car would start before the interior was put back in, put in seats, on the passenger seat hooked up the wire for the seatbelt alarm, on drivers side the wire was cut and missing, tried to start car and buzzer rings but motor will not turn over, made sure that battery had good charge and still nothing, has lights and radio working, did the cars in that year need the seatbelt warning hooked up in order for the car to start? Or, should I look at the starter? The starter does nothing when the ignition is turned. Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-07, 08:23 PM
Group Moderator
Don't know about a '74 'Vette, but my '74 Celica had a seatbelt interlock and couldn't be cranked unless the belt was connected (there was an override button under the hood).

Old 03-15-07, 09:45 PM
74 vette will not have a lock out on the belt, i would start at the starter mtr solenoid then the trans or shifter to make sure the nutruel saftey switch is working.
Do you get ign lites?
you can cross the starter to see if it cranks without the key.(know how needed).or if you have ign lites you can do the same to start it by crossing the starter.

Old 03-15-07, 10:12 PM
i think the 74's also had an alarm that worked on the drivers door key

Old 03-16-07, 10:52 AM
yes I am getting ignition lights

Old 03-16-07, 01:17 PM
if its a stick it might have a clutch pedal safety switch also

Old 03-16-07, 03:26 PM
If it worked before you put the interior back in, I would guess that you bumped a wire loose somewhere(on the inside). A wire that was connected that now is not, or a wire that was not connected that should still be disconnected.

Old 03-16-07, 04:53 PM
nap
http://www.corvettepartsman.com/browseproducts/1974-75-LOGIC-IGNITION-INTERLOCK-SYSTEM-(ORIGONAL-USED).HTML

although a previous poster posted there was no seatbelt interlock, the above link gives proof to the contrary.

1974 was THE year of seatbelt interlocks made MANDATORY by the NHTSA. I do not believe the corvette escaped the curse of the interlock.

Old 03-16-07, 04:56 PM
nap
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1581394&page=2

go to that link as well. it speaks of the interlock on 74 'vettes and a bit about bypassing them.

Old 03-20-07, 09:22 AM
thank for the help

found what I think is the problem, I have to push the reset on the switch each time after starting the car, do not know if it is because one seat has the seatbelt alarm hooked up and the other doesn't, or if the switch is bad, will try with both seat having security switch unplugged, if that does not work will change switch on cowl. Thanks again to everyone for their help.

Old 03-20-07, 02:43 PM
nap
if pushing the button gets you going, then the seatbelt interlock is working as designed. You only get one start per button activation.

I don;t know how to bypass the interlock but on one of the websites I linked, they were talking about bypassing it. Maybe try reading them thoroughly.

Old 03-20-07, 06:20 PM
Thanks Again

I will look into the site, thanks again for putting me in the right direction

Old 03-21-07, 04:51 AM
Group Moderator
Going back to my original reply, my Dad and I managed to bypass mine pretty easily (he was a "Ham", so electronic/electrical knowledge was not a problem ). Think we removed it from where it was bolted to the wheel well, took the cover off, and the circuit to bypass was easy to determine. I'm sure Nap is right; there isn't much info of that type that isn't findable somewhere on the web.

Old 03-21-07, 05:46 PM
74 corvette seatbelt

thanks for the info, hopefully I can try bypassing it this weekend. I will post with results once I have had a chance to work on it.