1996 Geo tracker 4cylinder

Old 03-15-07, 08:01 PM
1996 Geo tracker 4cylinder

I have a problem with my tracker and i'm clueless as to what it is. Whenever i drive up hills the car bogs down to no speed whatever. I end up going 2 to 3 miles an hour up the hill and thats with the accelerator pedal pushed clear to the floor. It's like the car almost comes to a complete stop. Sometimes if i let up on the the accelerator abit going up hill i'll pick up more speed. The engine seems to be idleing fine and in park i can rev up the engine with no problems. I have replaced the spark plug wires, plugs, and cap. I installed a new catalac converter. Can anyone please help me as to whats going on. Any advice would be great. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-07, 09:59 PM
is it stick or auto?
If its auto check your kick down cable.On the throttle body you will see two cables, one is the accelerator cable and the other is the kick down cable.
without the engine running, give it WOT(wide open throttle),the kick down cable sould show a metal crimped marker just protruding from the rubber boot, if not, theres your prob.The trans is not being told to down shift.

Old 03-16-07, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by A/C Guy View Post
is it stick or auto?
If its auto check your kick down cable.On the throttle body you will see two cables, one is the accelerator cable and the other is the kick down cable.
without the engine running, give it WOT(wide open throttle),the kick down cable sould show a metal crimped marker just protruding from the rubber boot, if not, theres your prob.The trans is not being told to down shift.
How do i fix this

Old 03-16-07, 07:32 PM
If the tranny cable doesn't work out I would take a look at your fuel flow and fuel supply. First check your filter.

If you pick up speed as you back off the throttle it could mean the greater throttle open is providing more air than the fuel system is providing fuel to mix with it. As you reduce the air supply it starts to balance out and the engine runs a little better.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Old 03-17-07, 09:46 AM
I wonder if the engine jumped time... meaning that the timing belt may have jumped a tooth.