03 grand caravan power steering pump

Old 03-18-07, 12:58 PM
03 grand caravan power steering pump

Hi everyone, we have a 03 grand caravan. When w eturn it has been making this noise like it is straining. We are pretty sure that we need to replace the power steering pump, but my husband can not get the pump off. He is having issues on ho wto get it out. Can anyone help?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-07, 01:24 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by momof5kiki View Post
Hi everyone, we have a 03 grand caravan. When w eturn it has been making this noise like it is straining. We are pretty sure that we need to replace the power steering pump, but my husband can not get the pump off. He is having issues on ho wto get it out. Can anyone help?
I really dont think you need a pump. It will do this if
#1 it is low on fluid
#2 the belt is slipping.
#1 if it is low on fluid it will wine and make a noise like it is low on fluid
#2 If the belt is slipping when you then it will not turn the pully fast eneff to pump fluid to the rack and pinoin( stearing that turns the wheels)

Check the belt. If it is shinney ( glased) it will slip . I would tighten the belt first before I would replace the pump.
Besides as long as fluid it in the pump and you dont let it go completely dry they will work for over 100,000 miles easyly.

Old 03-18-07, 01:40 PM
Thank you, he replaced the belt earlier, and added more fluid, since all the fluid came out when he replaced the belt. There was a recall on the house for the pump a while back, and after they replaced the hose, it stopped making the noise, but started back up again later.

He is about to go to auto zone, as the check engin light is on, but we are hoping to trade in the van tommorrow. We want to make sure that it is in good shape when we go to trade it in.