A/C and fan not engaging!

Old 03-18-07, 07:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool A/C and fan not engaging!

Hello all!

This problem has me a little baffled. I have no A/C. 2001 Dodge Stratus 2.4L.

A/C compressor is not coming on and neither is my radiator cooling fans when A/C is selected.

I have ops checked the A/C relay and swapped it out with no result.

Would the fan not coming on prevent the compressor from engaging?

I want to check the easy stuff before I attempt to replace the compressor clutch.

I do have 12vdc at A/C relay and refrigerant pressure is normal.

I'm pulling my hair out now.

Old 03-19-07, 03:55 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Have you look at the A/C pressure transducer, can you get a reading from scanner?, when it goes bad, the fan and the clutch will not engaged.

Old 03-19-07, 05:30 PM
It's not the transducer. I just paid $100 for it and it did nothing, lol. Wife not happy. Oh well....

I checked continuity between the A/C relay and the connector plug going to the compressor and that was good. Only thing I could not get was any voltage at that connector. Not sure why.

It has only one wire going to the connector which is odd to me, but there are none broken or missing.

Any more suggestions? Would a bad compressor clutch prevent the cooling fan from coming on?

Also, I noticed I can pull the key out of ignition while car is running...not sure if that could cause any problems.

Last edited by HotxxxxxxxOKC; 03-19-07 at 05:34 PM. Reason: added ignition
Old 03-20-07, 03:54 AM
That voltage signal is coming from the A/C switch, basically, it's provides ground to the relay, can you put a jumper across the switch?.

Your ignition key is worn out but it has nothing to do with if the engine is running.

Old 03-20-07, 04:12 PM
I jumpered the transducer switch and that did nothing. When I did pull the connector off and then put it back on, the cooling fans came on for a few seconds then shut down. That may be normal, not sure.

I have been reading about connecting the battery directly to the compressor, but not sure what wire to connect too. the compressor has a few wires going to it. Looks like there are two grounds, and two others, probably the hots. One wire goes into the clutch, and the other under some little black tab. I see noplace to connect the hot from the battery.....

Also, after double checking the refrigerant pressure, it was WAY in the red. I relieve the pressure back down to the blue. I think it was possibly overcharged and destroyed the clutch.

Old 03-20-07, 04:34 PM
M
I am no ac guy

I am no a/c guy but I dont think you can check pressures with no compressor running. Maybe a a/c guy can verify this.( I am not sure).

Old 03-20-07, 04:57 PM
I do agree. Without the compressor running, I think the pressure will naturally be high or not accurate. I released enough pressure anyways to test wether the compressor would even try to engage, it did nothing.

Old 03-20-07, 05:13 PM
M
power at clutch?

Do you have power to the clutch? Use your meter and find out the ones that are ground and apply pwer to the other ones. does the clutch turn free?

Old 03-20-07, 05:18 PM
Not sure seeing that there are no exposed wire leads besides the two grounds on the compressor. The other two wires are inaccessable and I do not want to pierce the wire insulation to test for power.

Old 03-20-07, 05:22 PM
M
got to be a connection

There has to be a connection in there just in case the clutch goes south.
Follow the wires and see were they plug in.

Old 03-20-07, 05:35 PM
Ok, I probed ALL the wires and no voltage. I think my problem may lye in he PCM or the main distribution panel.

I gotta look at more diagrams and maybe jump the relay to see if it engages.

Old 03-20-07, 06:55 PM
Exclamation

Wow.

I think I may have found the issue.

While removing the ac/heat control panel to swap to my spare, my compressor engaged!

I wiggled the wires near the connector going into the control panel and it would disengage. When I move again, engage.

Upon further investigation, it seems a wire going into the connector is kind of loose.

I should have inspected this good to begin with because last summer some hoodrat broke into this car and ripped the stereo out along with the panel which was still connected. I think in the process of that s.o.b. doing that, I believe he pulled a wire lose from the connector.

I will get the plug soon and splice it in and see how she goes. I hope this is just the problem.

Prior to finding this wire issue, I did jumper the compressor relay while the vehicle was not running and heard some clicking near where the compressor is. Saying this, I think the compressor is ok. ***crossing fingers***

Old 03-21-07, 01:36 AM
M
good deal

keep us posted on the outcome.

Old 03-23-07, 02:24 PM
Gosh, this is getting bad.

I brought the car to the dealer because I could troubleshoot no further. It was in the shop for 3 days while they troubleshot it down to a thermostatic switch in the airbox. I'm like, ok. Replace it.

$331 later and pulling into my driveway, the a/c quits again. This is pathetic. I called dealer back and they said to bring it back in Monday with no more charges (so they say). Soon as this A/C is fixed, it will be for sale. No more Dodges for me.

I'll keep you all posted.....again

Old 03-23-07, 03:31 PM
M
dont blame you

I only had one dodge in my life a 1965 Dodge coronet it was great easy to work on and solid as a rock. I dont know why Mopar has lost sight of quality but they have.
Cars are made to complicated IMO now days. Wonder if they will fix it free or find another part bad.
Keep us posted.

Old 03-23-07, 05:42 PM
I specifically asked if I would have to pay more to fix it, and the service manage said no, but, I will wait and see.

When I told him I thought it was the harness connector, he basically shrugged me off. I will be irrate if that turns out to be the problem seeing I just paid $300 labor and $30 for a part that did nothing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: