Sentra: Automatic Tranny Fluid Change

Old 03-23-07, 10:09 AM
Question Sentra: Automatic Tranny Fluid Change

In regards to my 1993 Nissan Sentra Classic, I don't see a filler plug on the differential unit, just a drain plug. So I drained it, but that didn't change the fluid level indicated by the dipstick so I assume that it's a separate unit. Does the differential unit have to be filled separately from the regular tranny pan dipstick fill? If it does, where's the filler plug?
Please help.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-07, 01:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You add tranny fluid through the fluid dipstick.

Typical automatics usually hold around 5-10 qrts of tranny fluid.

Old 03-23-07, 04:07 PM
Thanks Mark. How does the differential get fluid? Is it drawn from the main reservoir? I'm scared to run it dry.

Old 03-23-07, 04:46 PM
Im lost

What do you mean differential ? differential is found on a rear wheel drive car. I am thinking yours is a front wheel drive. If you have a auto transmission it is filled thru dip stick. On a front wheel drive you only have tranny fluid or engine oil. Are you sure you drained the right one? Dont start anything till we figure this out. also a differential does not use a dip stick.

Old 03-23-07, 05:50 PM
Thanks for posting Michael Van. You're right, it's FWD. I don't really mean differential. I should be saying the "transaxle housing". It's the part of the tranny where the driveshafts enter through. I unscrewed a drain plug at the bottom and tranny fluid came out. Will that "housing" get fluid from the pan reservoir? I sure hope so because I searched for a fill plug, and there's none.

Old 03-23-07, 06:44 PM
You can drain your tranny fluid form the tranny pan or housing. You add the tranny fluid back in through the dipstick.

You can only get about 1/2 the fluid from draining the pan. The rest is in the torque converter and there is a seperate process to flush that out as well.

Old 03-23-07, 07:11 PM
Group Moderator
STOP; do not drive it until you get a definitive answer. On Toyotas, for instance, there is in fact a separate drain plug for whatever the technical term for what is essentially the differential is and it MUST be filled separately. The fill plug is usually several inches above where you found the drain plug and you fill it just like on a RWD differential; add fluid until it overflows.

Okay, update:

Checked autozone.com and there doesn't appear to be a separate system like the Toyota:

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/13/11/52/0900823d80131152.jsp

I don't see any reference at all to what you apparently drained, only the main drain. Best to check with a definitive source to make sure before you proceed.

Old 03-23-07, 07:27 PM
He drained the slurpy valve housing attached to the flux capacitor.

He was quite vague. What color was this fluid, what did it smell like?