whiny transmission

Old 03-22-07, 05:30 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
whiny transmission

I have a 2000 F-150, V-6, as I accelerate the vehicle has a high pitch sound. The pich gets higher and louder as I accelerate. It will level off and almost go away when cruising with no acceleration. Noise is also there in park when I accelerate? Trans fluid is good color and down slightly but in the range were it says not to add. Could this be the torque converter? I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks, Don

Old 03-22-07, 06:33 PM
T
mmmm

I had the same thing happen to me in my Tacoma. It started very slowly and over time got worse. The culprit was a failed inner seal inside the tranny. It failed and fluid was lost into a cavity where it did not belong. This was when I was young and dumb.......I never did anything about it and it blew up. Under warranty but........still a pain.

Old 03-22-07, 07:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Your torque converter is inactive when in park, so I would say it is not your transmission.

I would look at your belt pulley's and/or your A/C compressor pulley. This would explain the whining even when the car is in park.

Old 03-23-07, 05:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
I'm not sure it couldn't still be a tranny problem, but I agree with OKC that you should investigate other potential (less expensive!) sources. I'm thinking your F150 is probably serpentine belt, so tensioner & idler pulley check for sure. If you do it very carefully you may be able to relieve tension on the belt while running to see if the noise goes away. Have to be very, very careful about getting body parts or tools in the path of the belt or fan, though.

Old 03-23-07, 05:44 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Check the power steering fluid level too.

Old 03-23-07, 03:08 PM
Not tranny

I had it in my head that it was the transmission but you all got me thinking it could be something else. I just raised the hood and listened and it sounds like it is the alternator. What do you think, does that sound likely? Thanks

Old 03-23-07, 03:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yes, it's pretty likely. The bearings within the pulley's etc get worn out and will produce the sounds you describe.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: