94 Corolla Coolant Issue! HELP!!!

Old 04-04-07, 12:19 PM
Exclamation 94 Corolla Coolant Issue! HELP!!!

My 1994 Corolla will not hold collant. I looked up under the car and there seems to not be a leak of any kind as there is NO collant anywhere. I will admit I let the coolant level get very very low before adding, but I don't see why it won't hold. Is it possible that my radiator was just that "thirsty" for coolant and is guzziling it all up and I just need to add more? Or is this a more serious issue.

Michael
Baton Rouge, LA

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-07, 01:39 PM
Pull your oil dipstick and your oil filler cap
Look for a milky whitish or brownish goo, especially under the oil fill cap

Old 04-04-07, 01:43 PM
Group Moderator
Also check to see if you are getting any white, sweet-smelling smoke out the exhaust (checking for same thing slick is).

Not to beat you up, but running the engine "very, very low" on coolant is very, very bad.

Old 04-04-07, 02:19 PM
not good

Running low on coolant is a very bad thing do what the other guys said. look at the oil and look at the exaust. It would be a good idea to have a person follow you so you can get a real good idea if steam is coming out. However all signs point toward a blown head gasket and or warped head all because car was run low on coolant.
How much and how often do you need to top off?

Old 04-05-07, 11:40 AM
Exclamation 94 Corolla Coolant Issue Redux

I checked the dipstick and oil cap and there is no milky resdue or water in the oil. There is also no smoke or water coming out of my exaust pipe. The car is not running any rougher. I noticed today that my right passenger tire needs replacing, but I was planning on a new set this weekend anyway. The car seems to be holding coolant better, but is still drinking it down pretty fast. There are no bubbles in my radiator or anything either. Is it possible my radiator was just that low on coolant? The car had never overheated before and there was always coolant in the car until I noticed it was out on day so I added and that's when the problem started. Help me anyone?

Old 04-05-07, 11:49 AM
How much coolant have you added to the car? And where did you add it? To the radiator or the overflow jug?

Old 04-05-07, 12:30 PM
Do a pressure test then check back.

Old 04-05-07, 12:39 PM
Exclamation

I added it to the overflow jug. Can you tell I'm an idiot and in a panic right now? LOL

Old 04-05-07, 02:33 PM
use cap

Use the cap to fill if possible then when that is full add to plastic overflow.
It will suck overflow dry everytime if low on fluid.

Old 04-05-07, 03:02 PM
Exclamation

Thank you! I added to the radiator and it needed a little bit to fill it up. Is it normal for there to be a little steam coming from it? I did spill a little over the top, but not much. Could that be why?

Old 04-05-07, 05:27 PM
keep an eye on it

Keep an eye on it. did you fill the overflow to the hot line also? Sounds like you are running straight water if you see steam. Do you have any antifrezze in it?

Search this Thread