Blower on Town and Country Continues to Run

Old 04-04-07, 01:00 PM
Blower on Town and Country Continues to Run

We need help, we have a 2001 Chrysler Town and Country limited that when the a/c/heat is turned off the blower continues to run through the defrost panel and I can no longer adjust the the air outake with the knob (it stays at one speed). The only time the blower stops running is when the car is turned off. Someone told me that most likely it is the switch that is bad. I tried to take panel off but couldn't figure out how to get off without running the risk of breaking it. Can anyone help. It is a digital panel, displaying the temp. that we require.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-07, 02:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Newer blowers have only one winding and therefore only one wire going into the motor (plus, of course, a ground wire). The speed is controlled via a series of resistors which are switched in as needed to lower the fan speed. These resistors are wire coils and get very hot. Therefore, they are normally mounted inside the heater plenum chamber where air from the blower flows over them to keep them from burning up. Sometimes the burn up anyway.

The blower switch in 80% of today's cars have different positions which control the flow of current to different resistors thus changing the speed of the blower. Therefore you have two places to look - a faulty switch or a faulty resistor bank. Since the blower runs on high it should not be a problem.

++ I would lean more towards the control switch since you can not get out of defrost mode. You need to take a flat head screwdriver with a thin towel wrapped around the tip and start pulling the trim pieces off around that controls. It does seem like you will break them, and sometimes you do, but do this carefully then you can have access for the control bolts.

Last edited by HotxxxxxxxOKC; 04-04-07 at 02:08 PM. Reason: added panel