1997 Mercury Sable Dies

Old 04-05-07, 02:09 PM
1997 Mercury Sable Dies

I am not sure of the engine. The battery light flickered a few times then stayed on. I parked it, then drove it a few hours later. It drove fine for about 25 mins then the abs light came on, then the fuel light (I had put half a tank earlier) also the wipers were like in slow motion then the airbag light along with a few beeps then the car sputtered and died. I was able to start it up within 10-15 mins, however within 5 mins the same series of events ocurred. It will start but....

Maybe unrelated - intermittently my inside lights will stay on after the doors are shut - could be 1 - 2 shuts, has gone as long as 2 days, has not happened in about a week.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-07, 03:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sounds like a failing battery and/or alternator.

Have autozone type store test your battery and alternator. Sometimes these free tests are not that accurate, but most of the time they can see if these are bad.

Old 04-05-07, 03:19 PM
I agree, dying battery or bad/dirty connections. If it runs once it starts, alternator probably is OK. Have it all tested.

Old 04-05-07, 05:31 PM
Thank you. Will clena the connectors and give the test a try.

Old 04-06-07, 03:26 AM
Sounds to me like the alternator may be failing, if it starts and runs for a little while then all the lights come on and it dies the alternator doesn't sound like it is charging correctly. With a bad alternator the car will run until the battery cannot support it anymore. Have them both tested.