pwr. strg. vac.valve

Old 04-06-07, 06:49 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
pwr. strg. vac.valve

I have a 1977 Pontiac. I think the "vacuum check valve" grommet may be leaking that is on the front power steering housing.

It takes a lot of pedal pressure to stop the car and the car idles very rough to the point that it sometimes stops. This condition just started.

How does the valve come off ? Is there threads on it and it just screws off ?
Or is there a nut on the back and the front housing needs to come off to get at it ?
THANKS

Old 04-06-07, 08:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Think you mean the brake booster vice power steering. On most cars you simply apply outward pressure on the valve and it should pull right out of the grommet. Since it's a "vacuum" system there's really no need for fancy security on it; normal operating vacuum keeps it together. Although the grommet may be leaking, what's more likely is that the booster itself, which has an internal diaphragm, may have failed. You can try spraying the grommet area with some aerosol carb cleaner with the engine idling. If the idle improves or changes you've probably found the leak; if no change, try pulling the hose off the booster and plugging it. If it now idles okay, good chance the booster is toast. Make sure the other end of the hose or the hose itself isn't leaking.

Old 04-06-07, 12:11 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
To: The Tow Guy

You proved to me you're a PRO !
You are right...I meant to say power brake. Yes , the valve on the power brake booster. Will try what you say

Old 04-06-07, 01:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
When you pop the hose/valve free from the booster, you should get a "whoosh" of air from the residual vacuum if the system is tight.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: