134a Recharge

Old 04-06-07, 11:30 AM
134a Recharge

I just bought 3-11.5 oz. cans of 134a off of ebay. These cans have an oil charge added to them. I have not recieved it yet, i am still waiting for it. I plan on converting my 91 chevy corsica to 134a. The car is dry of refrigerant so no worries of it going in to the air. The can reads that 1 can should do it for an oil charge. Is it safe to put all three cans in the car?

One more thing, This car has 140 thousand miles on it. What are the chances that the a/c will still work? The A/C pump turns freely but it feels like a lil bit of dirt got in there.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-07, 01:14 PM
Group Moderator
Couple of thoughts:

1. How long has the system been empty? If for a while I wouldn't be surprised if some of the seals in the system leak. Also, probably a good idea to replace the receiver/drier.

2. It's really not a good idea to service an a/c system without a set of gauges.

I suspect the a/c pro's will ring in and try to talk you out of the operation.

Old 04-06-07, 09:25 PM
i don't know how long it been empty my dad bought the car about 4 months ago. i have a gauge just not sure if it works properly or acurat. my brother in-law does heating and cooling he might help me.

Old 04-07-07, 07:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You cannot just add 134a to an R12 system and think it's now a 134a. There are a number of things involved in coversion.

You have to make sure your compressors, condensor, drier, o-rings, etc are all in good sound state, then:

Find gas leak in the A/C system and repair

Flush system with a compound of Hydrochlorofluorocarbon-141B and
Dichlorofluoroethane, which cleans and dries the old oil residue, moisture, and any other junk that may be in the system

Completely evacuate the system

Install new gas input and output stems. This prevents R12 being mixed with the R134a gas in the future

Load the new ester oil into the A/C system. This is compatible with the new R134a gas

Load the new R134a gas into the A/C system

Change the A/C system pressure & timing settings to accommodate the new R134a gas

Place a retrofit sticker on the A/C system stating it was converted to R134a usage

Old 04-07-07, 07:51 AM
Sounds like this DIY is best left to a pro.

Old 04-07-07, 08:05 AM
Corsicas are known for leaking evaporators but that don't mean it could be somewhere else.

You could get your HVAC buddy to help you. To properly repair it you need to 1st find and repair the leak. You will want to at the very least replace the orifice tube and get a good vacuum on the system before recharge.

Old 04-07-07, 09:13 AM
I'd hate to say this but iam going to any way. would it still be alright if i put it in there any way. i am afrad that there might be leaks. Or the compresor will not turn on at all.
We did the same thing to our 92 astro van and that was a few year ago.
We bought this conversion kit that was in a box. All it said was to make sure all the old R-12 was out of the system. out the new fitting on and then start adding the can the oil, and then continu with the next three cans of 134a The only thing is with that van is that it get hotter with a/c on bec it's not right. it still kicks on today.

Don't get me wrong because i understand all of what you guys are saying.

Old 04-07-07, 01:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I would not recommend it at all.

Do you actually have the vacuum equipment to completely evacuate the R12? You NEED to COMPLETELY evacuate the system and find the leaks. If you don't find the leak, then when you add the 134a, it will just leak out and cause damage to the compressor among other pieces of equipment.

I'm not sure if you can even do this legally. You have to add the new fittings onto the system so people can attach the 134a adaptor do it.

Old 04-07-07, 01:24 PM
I agree with HOT. I think its a violation of EPA rules unless you do it according to govt. specs.. You know global warming,etc.

Old 04-07-07, 10:32 PM
oh i never checked but i think i am right that my does have the original r-12 right? bec they didn't swith till 92 or 94.

Old 04-08-07, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator
GTO101,

I carefully read your original question and can say that the answers you have been given all address what you asked.
It appears however that the answers provided are not what you want to hear.
There is an element of danger in what you intend to do as well as the possibility that you will damage something.

Regardless of refrigerants being available to you your intended project is not what would be considered to be a diy job.
Because of this we do not actively support any advice given on this topic.

Old 04-09-07, 02:13 PM
thank for all of your help