Corolla starter question

Old 04-09-07, 03:56 PM
Corolla starter question

My kid has a 99 Corolla the starter sometimes does not work when he turns the key it goes click one time. if he keeps it up it will start fine. I suspect the soilenoid contacts.
I have read someplace that you can turn over a washer inside the soilenod for a clean surface.
Anyone done this? Starter works strong when it works. New starter is about 200 bucks and he is a kid so he has no money. I am going to take my old body under there and replace it myself but I would like to try the washer flip so as to save some money.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-07, 04:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is the solenoid built into the starter or is it external?

Ok, it's built onto the starter.

Some people were able to keep the starter good for another year after cleaning the contact disc in the solenoid.

Have you checked for proper voltage at the starter?

Usually if you hear the clicking, that means the solenoid is good and the motor itself is bad.

Old 04-09-07, 04:21 PM
not sure

Not sure if it is external. I know Toyota uses a gear reduction type setup.
Have not checked voltage at starter just at posts of battery it was a good 14v with engine running. Terminals were clean and cables had no corrosion.
I just recall reading someplace that you can turn the contacts over and be go to go for another 150 thousand miles. I think Toyota sells the kit for like 20 bucks.

Old 04-09-07, 05:10 PM
Group Moderator
I don't think there's anything inside to "turn over". I'm guessing it's similar to my wife's Camry that I did the operation on a few years back. What you should have is a plunger and two terminals, one on each side. Both the contact ring on the plunger and the two terminals eventually wear out. Even if the contact ring on the plunger could be turned over (I don't think it can; I believe it's permanently mounted) you would still have worn out contacts. Don't know how much the OEM Toy repair kit would be; quite a bit more than $20 I think - I pair about $20-25, but got the parts from a friendly starter & alternator shop. Will definitely be cheaper than buying a starter and any replacement you buy won't be as good as the oem Toy unit.

Old 04-09-07, 05:17 PM
Thats right

Thats right Larry I was doing some surfing on the web and I saw the L shaped contacts you are talking about. I have called the kid and told him to get some from Toyota. I told him to bring me some beer for afterwards because to have it done would be 500 parts and labor. He is going to get off cheap.
He is not like his old man and knows nothing about cars.

Old 04-09-07, 05:44 PM
Group Moderator
Half the beer is mine, Steve! (Tow Guy = John)

Old 04-09-07, 05:58 PM
Cool oops

ooops sorry dont know why I thougt Larry but the beer will be here in Fort Worth sunday so you better hurry.

Old 04-09-07, 07:08 PM
Larry is The Cable Guy

Old 04-09-07, 07:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
mmmm 6 point beerrr.....we only got the weak 3.2 here in Oklahoma.

Old 04-10-07, 04:16 AM
Group Moderator
Real men don't drink 3.2.

Old 04-10-07, 08:00 AM
GMs' have a reversible contact

Originally Posted by michael van View Post
I have read someplace that you can turn over a washer inside the solenoid for a clean surface.
Anyone done this? .
On GM starters there is a bolt that can be flipped over. I have no idea if a Toyota would be the same or not. I never looked.
On a GM solenoid, the bolt that the battery cable is connected to is built something like an oval carriage bolt.
The current flows from the battery and thru the bolt and off one side of the "oval" pan-head of the bolt to a round disk which connects the contact leading to the starter.
Only one side of that "oval" carriage bolt gets used and it is a place where those starters go bad.
The locking nut of the carriage bolt can be loosened off and the carriage bolt rotated 180 degrees and have the other side (which is brand new) of the carriage bolt carry the current.
Its a handy thing to know when a GM don't start someday.
It can be done just by crawling under the vehicle with a couple of wrenches along side the road if need be. I have done it too many times that way.

Next time you have a GM solenoid in hand, take it apart and see what I mean.
I think this is where this myth started of a contact that could be reversed.
True on GM and I have no idea about Toyotas.
I used quotation marks around "oval" because it is not really oval but round with two sides ground flat.