97 chevy blazer v6 hard starting/idles slightly rough

Old 04-10-07, 10:19 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
97 chevy blazer v6 hard starting/idles slightly rough

but other wise runs great. tows my 3000lb boat up mountains like a champ even get about 15-16mpg towing. I replaced the gas filter and added some fuel tune up by prestone no help. I have to turn the ignition key for about 2 seconds 3 times for it to start. 3 time it starts instantly(hear no crank)! I 'd like to know where I should start troubleshooting. spark plugs/cap/roter/wires/fuelpump/emmisions/coil????????? OR SHOULD I BRING IT IN FOR A DIAGNOSTIC? I don't have a check engine light lite up.

Old 04-10-07, 01:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Could be a number of things, but lets start with the least expensive to replace.

First off, see if the vehicle has any trouble codes stored in the computer by going to Autozone and getting the OBDII codes read for free, if any.

If no codes stored,

start with your general maintenance items, i.e. plugs, wires, etc

If those are good, check your battery and alternator voltages. Should have at least 13v.

If that's good, try to get the fuel pressure, your fuel pump may be going south. (GM fuel pumps are garbage in my opinion)

If you have good fuel pressure check your:

PCV valve
Thottle position sensor
Camshaft position sensor

I might have missed something, but it's stuff to start looking at.

Old 04-10-07, 05:59 PM
I
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile ironhandyankee

If it runs good at highway speeds I doubdt that it is the pump. How many miles on the v/6? Do a compression check. Rough idle could be valves.

Old 04-10-07, 06:40 PM
G
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
From my experience with an 86 Astro first is plug wires and coil wire then have the fuel pressure checked for fuel pump problem other than that a 4.3 will run for at least 200,000 without major problems if maintained. Have a good one. Geo

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: