Brake Caliper Bolts

Old 04-11-07, 06:58 AM
Brake Caliper Bolts

I am unable to loosen the two bolts on the caliper mounts that I need to remove to change the rotors. Any suggestions on how to get this done?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-07, 09:01 AM
Bolts

Originally Posted by midway View Post
I am unable to loosen the two bolts on the caliper mounts that I need to remove to change the rotors. Any suggestions on how to get this done?

Thanks.
It would help knowing the yr and make of the car, but if you are talking about the bolts that hold the caliper bracket to the spindle try an impact gun, they are usually Very tight! Failing that use some penetrating oil. Heat would not be reccomended on a spindle. Good Luck!!

Old 04-11-07, 09:07 AM
It's a 96 Garnd Marquis - Thanks

Old 04-11-07, 10:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you don't have an impact, sometimes tightening the bolt a hair will allow it to loosen up. May also help to get a little extra leverage with your wrench or socket. Go easy on the WD-40 you don't want it to later get on the pads.

I usually add a dab of grease to the threads when reinstalling - makes it easier next time

Old 04-11-07, 01:13 PM
If these have never been removed before they will have red locktite on them. Impact wrench or socket with long breaker bar will do the job.

Good Luck

Old 04-12-07, 08:52 AM
Would a tool like this one help?

I have a similar project coming up soon, and have a tool like this one- mine's from home depot, not HF, but I couldn't find a picture anywhere else:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93481

Would this kind of thing help?

Old 04-12-07, 11:05 AM
That tool would work just fine, if you have enough room to strike it hard with a hammer.

Old 04-12-07, 12:46 PM
That one in the link is 1/4" drive. It looks light-duty and would never work on caliper bolts. Try the same thing in a 3/8" drive.

Instead of WD-40, use PB Blaster. It's designed for loosening rusted bolts.

Old 04-12-07, 08:14 PM
Use a torch and a breaker bar, get it cherry red with a torch and put the muscle to it, it will either come loose or twist off, it it twists off you didn't have it hot enough. Have a good one. Geo

Old 04-13-07, 05:20 AM
Originally Posted by geogrubb View Post
Use a torch and a breaker bar, get it cherry red with a torch and put the muscle to it, it will either come loose or twist off, it it twists off you didn't have it hot enough. Have a good one. Geo

Heating up the bolt until cherry red or hight temps and allowing it air cool slowly looses all the case hardending in the bolt thus making it usless.

Old 04-13-07, 09:55 AM
Not to smart

Originally Posted by geogrubb View Post
You never want to heat up a spildle / knuckle assembly cherry red with a torch. The part will not be safe to use after that. The simple answer is use a good 1/2 inch drive impact gun and it will come right off. It should have locktite on the threads to keep it from loosing up that is why you are having a hard time with it. "it will either come loose or twist off" if you twist it off your in for a ***** of a drill out job, or your heading for the junk yard for a used part.

Old 04-13-07, 11:25 AM
NEVER use a torch on brake assemblies. Use a breaker bar and socket or impact wrench. I've taken many of these apart and all it takes is a little muscle and will power. This is not a hard job to do. Get over it and get it done.