99 Regal Hesitating

Old 04-12-07, 09:31 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
99 Regal Hesitating

Above 40 mph, light acceleration or holding speed on a small hill causes a shuddering of the car and the tach jumps up and down over a range of about 200 rpm. If you stepped harder on the gas and made it down shift, everything was fine. Plugs, wires and fuel filter were replaced, no effect. Check engine light came on, code came back EGR - replaced, no effect. Check engine light came on again, said transmission clutch (or something like that), leaking battery was replaced, no effect. Problem's gotten a little worse in the last week, now misbehaving at pretty much all speeds, even when accelerating hard enough to get a down shift. Any guesses?

Old 04-12-07, 10:42 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wink spit and spudder

Check the engine timing...check for water in the gas...check the cap and rotor...as far as the tranny goes, change the fluid and the filter and look for metal in the pan...

Old 04-12-07, 10:57 AM
S
Group Moderator
Sorry, forgot to mention tranny was flushed and filled. This has been going on for a few months, so I doubt water in the gas is the cause. Doesn't have cap or rotor.

Old 04-12-07, 11:04 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cool tranny slip

Sounds to me if your tach is jumping and your vehicle jumps then all of the torgue is not getting from the engine to the tranny. Now just because the fluid was changed doesn't mean there isn't material from the internal clutches of the tranny clogging up the filter and pick up tube. If that filter gets clogged with that then you will loose pressure to the clutches and it will slip. Did the fluid you took out look brown or smell burnt?

Old 04-12-07, 07:35 PM
S
Group Moderator
Didn't flush the tranny myself, but the place I use would have shown me the fluid if they had seen anything abnormal.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: