Jeep Wrangler 4.0l Engine Seizes

Old 04-12-07, 09:17 PM
Cool Jeep Wrangler 4.0l Engine Seizes

I have a Jeep 2000, Wrangler Sahara, 6 cyl. 4.0L. Last weekend I change the spark plugs and since that, the engine RPM downs to O while I am driving at different times of the day. It is very scarry. I have already triple check the connections, but this model seems to have the coil and cables connected all together in a solid bar, which hosts then all together. I could not find the distributor either. I purchase the Hayes book that should show me how to fix the problem, but it only msde it worse.
TIA for any help

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-07, 05:51 AM
Did you check the gap spacing on the spark plugs? Your engine might not have a distributor, as most car engines manufactured to do. The timing is controlled throught the OBD

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 04-13-07 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Not necessary to quote entire post.
Old 04-13-07, 10:40 AM
Group Moderator
If you could elaborate a little more on exactly how the problem occurs, it might be helpful. Your title line contains the word "seize"; that's a lot different form "stalls" or "dies" and could indicate a serious problem.

Old 04-13-07, 12:44 PM
Question tach

When the tach drops can you feel or hear the actual engine RPM drop?

Old 04-13-07, 05:14 PM
Most likely you have a bad plug it is real easy to get the socket on crooked and crack the ceramic. Go get yourself a new set of spark plugs and replace them again, this time being very careful to set the gap correctly and carefully install them nice and straight with some never seize on the threads.

Old 04-13-07, 06:53 PM
want to add one thing

Some cars are very pickey on what type plug you use. So I would go with exactly what jeep put in in 2000 do not change brands.