to: the tow guy and others (pwr brake)

Old 04-19-07, 09:40 AM
to: the tow guy and others (pwr brake)

Here is an update on my power brake problem.
The problem: have to use excessive pressure to brake especially when moving slowly.
When engine is idling and brake is applied, engine will run rough and die.
Release foot of off brake and engine idles fine.
Suspect vacuum leak. Pulled off vacuum line to brake power head unit and plugged end as tow-guy suggested....engine ran fine.
Pulled off vacuum valve grommet and put Permatex around to make a good seal...no help.
two questions:
1. there is a gasket between the master cylinder and the power head unit and a gasket between the power head unit and the firewall. Is there a way to tell if they are leaking ?

2. Where can I get a power brake unit/power head for a 1977 Pontiac Grand Prix ? GM no longer has them. Called serveral parts stores - no luck.
GM part no. is 18005071.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-07, 05:22 PM
What you need is the power brake booster (black round looking thing). The Booster is a self contained unit...there is not a gasket you can replace to fix this problem...you'll have to get a whole new booster. You're master cylinder is probably fine. It sounds like it is leaking inside the booster itself. Good luck finding one, I would check some internet sites.

Old 04-19-07, 05:32 PM
Group Moderator
Auto Zone appears to have them per their website. Found at least three listed.

http://www.autozone.com/N,14400143//shopping/partTypeResultSet.htm

Old 04-19-07, 05:58 PM
If you asked the parts stores for a "power brake unit/power head" when you called they probably told you no because they didn't have a clue what you were talking about. Most of those counter kids don't know anything except how to look up a part in the computer...which means if you don't call the part the same name as it is listed in the computer they don't know what you are looking for.

Old 04-21-07, 03:37 PM
Thank you everyone.
The "service manual" for this car refers to this part as "brake unit" and "power head". No where does it use the word "booster"
I'll try again locating one using the word "booster" and see if that works.

Old 04-21-07, 04:52 PM
Group Moderator
You could also remove the old one and take it to one of the local parts houses. Drop it on their counter and say, "I need one of these". Removes the need to worry about what nomenclature to use.

Search this Thread