2001 Dodge Grand Caravan making funny noise!

Old 05-03-07, 07:49 PM
Unhappy 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan making funny noise!

OK, OK, I know it's hard to describe a noies, but I'll do my best. I have a 2001 Grand Caravan with about 90,000 miles. It is making a horrible noise! It seems to be coming from the passenger side maybe around the alternator. It's not really a ping, it's more grinding, like there's sand in the engine. It's worse when I first start it up and diminishes after about a minute, but it doesn't completely go away. My air conditioner also stopped working. My mechanical brother (over the phone, so he didn't really "hear" THE SOUND) thinks it may be the cluth in the air compressor. He lives 2.5 hours away and I am looking for advice. What do you think the problem is? Do you think it is safe to drive, as long as I don't use the AC, 2.5 hours so my brother can HEAR it? This has been going on for a couple days and just today when I turn a corner to go up a hill, THE NOISE increased! It drives fine...no stuttering or anything like that...just THE NOISE which scares the #@!! out of me. I'm suppose to go out of town tomorrow. Any help would be appreciated. It's too late to have a mechanic look at it, plus I only trust my brother. But if I have to I'll have someone closer look at it for a small fortune. Thanks again!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-07, 03:26 AM
Cool noise

Take a long screwdriver and put one end on your ear and cover it with your hand and the other on the outside of the parts where the bearings are. The alternator, Water pump, air pump, ac compressor, etc and listen for the noise. You could take off the belts one at a time or if a serpertine belt take that off and spin the devices by hand and listen for noise. Sounds like a bearing to me. Plus the tensioner if you have one.