AC/Heating Problem

Old 05-07-07, 11:15 PM
AC/Heating Problem

I have a Ford Taurus 1997 with 130 thousand miles. Neither the hearter nor A/C work, though the blower and vent switches do. When the temp. control gage is in any direction except straight up there is a continuous clicking noise in the dash, even when the blower is not running. There is also a strange smell when the blower is on, almost like stale exhaust or gas, etc. I cant figure out what is broken. Thanks for any help/ advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-07, 03:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Describe your heater and a/c switches and levers and what positions you are putting them inwhen functions work and when functions DON'T work; and what switches and/or levers are positioned at (not just where they point but if it is over to full cool, full hot, etc.) when you hear that clicking.

And are you certain the clicking IS under the dash?...as opposed to a relay switch clicking under the hood of the car?

By providing some information I listed, then maybe someone here will be able to tell if you have one problem causing no heat and no cool, or if you have two separate problems.

Old 05-08-07, 04:10 PM
Sounds like a jammed blend door.

The actuator is probably trying to open shut the door and is binding up causing it to make that clicking sound.

Old 05-16-07, 05:15 PM
Problem Solved

Thanks everyone, the actuator motor was bad causing it to skip while trying to rotate (making the clicking). My taurus does not have the center consol so it was easy to get under the dash and remove it. I found an actuator in good condition at the salvage yard ($15) and installed it. The heat and A/C system works great and I no longer notice the smell. The mechanic wanted $899

Old 05-16-07, 05:42 PM
Awesome!

Yeah, I could go into a novel about some dealer mechanics. They wanted $799 just in labor to replace my blend door actuator. They claim the whole dash, A/C lines, etc had to come out.

I just removed the center console and it was right there.