'92 Oldsmobile 98 keeps dying!

Old 05-08-07, 02:34 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question '92 Oldsmobile 98 keeps dying!

I just bought this car and keeps dying. Its runs fine for short distances but when apply brakes after drive for a few miles will die. Or when shut off after driving . If I leave sit for a half hour will restart. Which by the way it ran fine for the short distance drove it test driving. Until I bought it of course which was just 3 days ago. Dealer says I bought as is and won't trade me cars for one that runs right! I am a single woman and was taken advantage of! GRRR!Please help me!

Old 05-08-07, 03:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If this was my car, the first thing I'd check is to pull at least one spark plug, like the easiest to get to, to see if it was black, showing signs it was 'loading up' (too much gas). When hot this could make it die out.

Too much gas is like having not enough air; similar to when you have an engine with choke on. At idle with foot on brake, rpm's are at their lowest and if you have engine running problems, this is often where the car will stumble. You might be getting it started a 1/2 hour later because the engine is cooler then and can run richer when cold, like how cars run better when choked (more gas in relation to air) when motor is cold.

I'm sure you'll get more opinions from others here, but I'd have someone look at a plug.

Old 05-08-07, 03:29 PM
J
How many miles on the odometer?? It sounds to me like a fuel problem, could be weak fuel pump, clogged fuel filter(my first choice), clogged injectors(depends on miles). Definitely sounds like it is temp. related, and fuel often flows better when cold. It could also be ignition, failing when it heats up. But from the reply you received from the dealer, could be hiding something. Why are these guys allowed to exist, put them in with Paris.

Old 05-23-07, 02:50 PM
D
The miles is 18000 almost 19000 but may have rolled over? When the car dies it does not get a spark. I had a cam censer installed (wasn't it)and then the modual < ? spelling.It tested bad but was not proublem so put old one back on.I have a new crank shaft censer to put on but my son lookred up on the computer and said have to have a special tool to install ? So my macanic quit on me cause he doesnt have the special tool.I went to the gas station and talked to a macanic there and he said that when censer goes bad usually the check engine light will go on (and it doesn't) the oil light stays on when start it and its a little too full.Someone told me that it usually only goes on if low but not if too full. Also the air bag inflate light stays on.Someone sugested to disconnect the neg battery for 20 min and it will reset the computer ,so did and the oil light makes the dinging noise along with the light on now.

Old 05-23-07, 04:40 PM
C
What motor? If it is a 3.3 92 was a transition year for the CPS tool, later in the model year no tool is required, this is what it sounds like to me.

Old 05-23-07, 05:57 PM
R
Thumbs up Crankshaft sensor!

We had a '92 Pontac Bonneville and the same exact symptoms occured, no check engine light either. Embarrassing for me as I have been a mechanic for 20+ years. A friend had a GM scan tool from work and we put it on and drove for about 45 minutes, of course everything was fine then. We came back and left it run and were looking at the engine and it just died. Luckily we left the scan tool on and it caught the problem: Crankshaft sensor. The only special tool we needed was a very strong impact wrench and several sockets- we broke three trying to get the harmonic balancer bolt loose. This had the 3800 V6 engine (3.8 liter). We replaced the crankshaft sensor and never had that problem again.

Old 05-29-07, 01:59 AM
D
Question

I have a 3800 v-6 also.A few people have told me that the check engine light should go on if its a censer, but you say it didn't either huh? Today after I shut the car off it made a noise like (this is going to be hard to discribe but electric winding down and then off.I made the noise sound to my son who is sorta knows about cars and he said was the fuil pump kicking in.but why would it make that noise when shut car off.I heard the same noise the other day.A man I did have working on my car said the car is not getting a spark when dies.So he felt was electic not fuil but maby the electric fuil pump be going bad? that would cover both electric and fuil issue. Also the gas gadge runs out of gas when shows over a quarter full.What issues does the car have if its the brain? I am glad to hear I don't need a special tool to install the cranke case senser maybe I can talk the macanic who gave up install it now? Also if I take to hook up to a computer does it always show the proublem? cause he took car to test the modual to the engine and said was bad but wasn't he said a lot of times will say is good but isn't but was shocked when said was bad and after putting in a new one wasn't the proublem.it makes a great town car but I live up in the mountains and need to go farther than 20 some miles.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: