hey Acura pros..

Old 05-10-07, 09:19 PM
hey Acura pros..

I had a weird experience with my 03 TL. A couple weeks ago I felt frisky and put the trans into the sport mode and as I did this the gear light on the dash and the odometer/temp/trip went out. Everything else seemed fine and I quickly put it back into regular automatic. The lights stayed out for a while and came back on later that day. A couple days ago I put it into sport mode and again the same thing happened only now the lights are not coming back on. Is this a common "quirk" or a fluke? Are the lights on the same fuse? If so why would moving the shifter cause them to go out? Thanks for the help!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-07, 10:42 PM
MrT
American Honda Expands Voluntary Transmission Recall to Certain Honda and Acura Automobiles

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Torrance, CA - June 29, 2004 -- American Honda Motor Co., Inc. today announced that it will expand its existing voluntary recall of light truck models for a potential transmission defect to include certain Honda and Acura passenger cars. The voluntary action involves approximately 499,000 Honda and Acura passenger vehicles with V6 engines and 5-speed automatic transmissions. Affected models include certain 2003 and early 2004 model Accord V6 sedans and coupes, 2000-2003 and early 2004 Acura TL sedans, and 2001-2003 Acura CL coupes.

The company has found only one confirmed instance of a transmission failure related to this defect in its passenger cars, with no accidents or injuries. “We are acting out of an abundance of caution to ensure that this doesn’t become an issue for our customers,’” said Tom Elliott, executive vice president of American Honda Motor Co., Inc.

The situation is created by insufficient lubrication of the transmission’s secondary shaft second gear that can occur under certain driving conditions. Prolonged operation under these conditions can lead to heat build-up and under certain circumstances may eventually result in chipped or broken gear teeth or breakage of the gear. In the event of a chipped or broken tooth, the owner will likely experience abnormal noise from the transmission and seek repairs. In rare instances, this condition may lead to gear breakage and possible locking of the vehicle’s transmission, creating a potential safety hazard.

Owners of affected vehicles will be contacted via mail and will be asked to take their vehicle to an authorized Honda or Acura dealer to be repaired free of charge. Customer mailings will begin in late July. In most cases, the repair involves a simple gear inspection, which is accomplished without removing or disassembling the transmission, and a modification to increase the flow of transmission fluid to the affected gear. If there is any indication of damage to the gear, the dealer will replace the complete transmission assembly. Customers concerned about the condition of their vehicle may visit Honda’s Ownerlink website. Customers may also contact their local Honda or Acura dealer, or call Honda customer service or Acura customer service.

- American Honda Press Release

Old 05-11-07, 01:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
MrT,

Your post has nothing to do with his problem. His tranmsission is acting fine, just he has an electrical issue.

Old 05-11-07, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the post MrT. My car was actually built after they solved the problem with the trans. I am having some sort of electrical issue and was wondering if anyone ahs seen this problem before.

Old 05-14-07, 11:26 PM
MrT
you might think that it is solved but as stated earlier by honda.

"Affected models include certain 2003 and early 2004 model Accord V6 sedans and coupes, 2000-2003 and early 2004 Acura TL sedans, and 2001-2003 Acura CL coupes.".

disregard that it is an trans issue, but if it was shifted into the SS mode to take the lights out. i would take it to acura for them to check. because it is relate to the extended 7 years/100,000 mile warantee. why would you not if it would not cost anything? (assuming that it is still under the terms of the extended warantee). why worry about it if it can be taken care of?.