Removing bolt with stripped thread

Old 05-13-07, 02:05 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Removing bolt with stripped thread

I am in the process of removing my transmission for repair and have a bolt that connects the transmission to the engine which has stripped threads. It just turns in the hole and the bolt head is flush against the case. I was thinking of drilling it out but it may be a hardened bolt which would make this harder.

Any suggestions/tips of how to deal with this.

Old 05-13-07, 03:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Drill a small pilot hole about 1/2" down the center of the bolt, then get a screw/bolt extractor and take it out.

Use a carbide bit which last longer.

Have the drill on slower speed. Fast speed will burn up the bit and accomplishing nothing.

Old 05-13-07, 06:17 PM
G
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
If it is turning in the hole I think your options are limited and it's going to be necessary to drill the head off the bolt, unless you can grip the bolt with vise grips so you can pull as you turn to hopefull get some threads to catch. Have a good one. Geo

Old 05-15-07, 11:37 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. It turned out to be easier that I thought to drill into the bolt. I drilled out the head and then drilled a small pilot hole through the bolt using a close quarters drill. This freed the bolt in the other direction (it is an open bolt hole between the trans and engine) but I could not push it fully out of the other end due to obstruction and could also not drill any further as it kept spinning. However, the removal of the head and being able to push back the body of the blot allowed for the removal of the transmission.

I will cut off the protruding section with a cut-off wheel and knock the remaining segment out of the other side. I will also need to see what happened to the threads and retap if necessary.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: