Spiral Core/Cell Batteries

Old 05-21-07, 07:09 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Spiral Core/Cell Batteries

Outgassing from conventional batteries have corroded my battery tray, inner fender and frame. The corrosion appears to be superficial at this point, but it needs to be addressed. I used a battery mat and and plastic grid tray, but acid is still damaging the area. This is my 3rd battery tray, although the car is a 1974, but I think it's time to step up to an Optima red top or Exide Orbital. They are comparably priced and warrantied, but does anyone have a preference and why? They next question, should I also step up to the larger 78 series vs the smaller 75 series?

P.S. What is the best thing to neutralize the battery acid that is wreaking havoc, until I switch batteries?

Old 05-21-07, 07:22 PM
J
Red face Battery

Baking soda and water will neutralize the acid. rinse it off well and let dry. Pick some rust stopper (rust-o-leum in a spry can) then repaint with an epoxy paint.Consumer reports clains that a Dura Last battery is the best out there,If i remember correctly. check yor owners manual or go to a parts store and find out what your cranking are. then make your decision. joe,

Old 05-21-07, 08:08 PM
R
Joe,

Thanks for your reply. I am afraid to go w/ another conventional battery w/ the acid leaks.

You mentioned going w/ the size battery recommended in my owner's manual vs the oversized 78 series. What are the perils w/ upsizing?

I will clean the area w/ NaHCO3 as you recommended.

Glenn

Old 05-21-07, 08:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Optima batteries are great. They do not leak and will last a long time. Stick with the series that is meant to be in your car. If you go with the larger battery, it may not even fit in your car.

Old 05-22-07, 02:03 AM
M
not much time

Dont have much time but Optima battery is a good one (red). I had one and it lasted 7 years and was still in truck when I sold the truck. Gota go to work.

Old 05-22-07, 04:35 AM
R
Thanks for all of your replies.

I have never had a conventional battery that lasted more than 3 yrs and I have had my car since 12/74.

Old 05-22-07, 07:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I must have good luck (knock on wood) with conventional batteries. I've had the same battery in my Maxima for almost 6 years with a sub and amp. I'm sure it's life is coming to an end soon.

When I do replace it, I am going to a yellow top.

Old 05-22-07, 11:52 AM
S
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I'm not familiar with the Exide Orbital, though the other Exides are just fine
I am familiar with the Optima
They are great
I can recommend them

Old 05-22-07, 12:38 PM
S
Battery acid damage

Make sure your charging system is not over charging your battery. It seems as though you are having more battery troubles than you should. I've used conventional batteries for up to 7 years without failure or acid damage. The average life of a conventional battery is probably around 3-5 years. The battery in my wifes Tracker is 5 years old and I am going to replace is now on my terms and not wait for it to strand her somewhere.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: