Chevy Corsica sounds I cannot ID

Old 05-23-07, 06:25 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Chevy Corsica sounds I cannot ID

I hope someone can help me. I have a 1991 Chevrolet Corsica, 6 cylinder, and I have an odd sound coming from the front left tire. It sounds like a helicopter. There is no shaking or play on the steering wheel, and the sound can vary depending on how much weight the car carries, if I am making a right turn, if the car catches a bit of air over a hump. It lessens in those cases. I have been told various things. I know it is not the tires, because I Have had them rotated, and it does not change. I changed the breaks, and that did not help. I am thinking about repacking the bearings. Can any one help me, maybe warn me if I am about to make a big mistake?

Old 05-23-07, 06:39 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums

It might be a bad axle, axle bearing or cv joint. Does the sound go away when you turn 1 direction and maybe a little worse when turning the opposite?

Old 05-24-07, 05:10 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
First thing I thought of was a tire ply separating, but normally there's some shaking. Might try putting the spare on, though, to see if it changes.

Old 05-24-07, 05:26 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You may have it.

Yes, that is what happens, as well as when I catch a tad bit of air. There is no change to the way the car behaves when I drive it, (no sway, grab on the tire while accelerating, hesitation.) If it is a bearing, I would think it is a matter of taking off the hub nut, and repacking or replacing. If it is an axle or cv joint, that is beyond my level of repair. I just wonder how much it would cost, (and my head is reeling about just how much!)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: