GMLAN and aftermarket radio. Compatability issues??

Old 05-28-07, 08:07 AM
GMLAN and aftermarket radio. Compatability issues??

I have gotten mixed reports regarding removing the base stock GM radio and replaceing it with a aftermarket radio. Anywhere from the airbag NOT deploying in a crash to the car not passing the NYS emission inspection. No, I'm not making this up.

The radio is only the base model. with NO "Preference" controls. It can't even change the level of the 'chime'. With this class 2 data bus, where everything is tied into the LAN system, this has me worried with all these stories I have heard from local stores that sell radios.

Since this unit has no data functions other than being tied into the data bus for radio related issues (DTCs') and the 'chime' feature (which I could live without), if I don't go with one of those overpriced ($80-$100) adapter cable assemblies with the chime interface, is there any problem with this??

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-07, 09:42 AM
Call an installer, Circuit City, Best Buy. They can tell you if it is possible and what adapters are needed.

Old 05-29-07, 04:18 AM
Thumbs down

CC & BB would be the last places.
I need expert advice, not from somewhere that fired people for making too much $$.

Who is familar with the LAN data bus from GM?