2003 Tahoe-Malfunction Light

Old 05-29-07, 07:34 AM
2003 Tahoe-Malfunction Light

My question concerns 2003 Tahoe that has been well taken care of. It has about 75K miles. Just recently malfunction light has come on and I understand that this usually is indicative of a problem with emissions system.

1.does this light ever turn out to be a false positive problem?
2.what is worse result if I ignore this light?
3.does this situation make car run "rough"?
4.can you suggest a reasonable price just to diagnose this "problem"?
5.should I take back to dealer or is a good auto shop with necessary diagnostic equipment OK?
6.has there been any recall on this model with this situation?

Thanks for all help and suggestions.

TD

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-07, 07:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Bring this vehicle to Autozone or another type auto store. They will scan your computer for free. They will get a code that tells them what is wrong. Report back here with the code.

Just tell them you have the check engine light.

Old 05-30-07, 04:07 AM
HotinOKC

Thanks for your reply and advice.

Anyone else have any other remarks/their experience about this malfunction light indicator?

TD

Old 05-30-07, 07:49 AM
To better answer your questions:

1.does this light ever turn out to be a false positive problem? No

2.what is worse result if I ignore this light? A problem could get worse causing more damage, low gas mileage. Rough is a to vague of a word with this. It could make your engine run rough, but not suspension ride quality.

3.does this situation make car run "rough"? The computer saw a problem and reported the light to come on.

4.can you suggest a reasonable price just to diagnose this "problem"? Free form autozone (OBDII scan)

5.should I take back to dealer or is a good auto shop with necessary diagnostic equipment OK? Not neccessary at this point

6.has there been any recall on this model with this situation? None that I have seen, but here's a link to recalls for your vehicle:

http://www.internetautoguide.com/auto-recalls/67-int/2003/chevrolet/tahoe/base/index.html

Old 05-30-07, 09:17 AM
Mark

Thank you for your detailed reply and weblink for recalls. I will run over to AutoZone or AA tomorrow.

TD

Old 05-30-07, 11:16 AM
Group Moderator
Just curious, Tiger; are you getting any secondary indications of a problem or just the light? You could have something as simple as a loose or faulty gas cap. The codes should give you a good starting point (but don't automatically jump to the most obvious solution based on the raw codes).

Old 05-30-07, 12:02 PM
Tow

Thanks for the suggestion. Will the diagnostics point out a code as simple as a loose or faulty gas cap?

TD

Old 05-30-07, 12:28 PM
A loose gas cap will come up a code with a number, and it will usually translate to Evap system code.

Codes will come out like: P0414, etc, then we take that number and find what it means.

Old 05-30-07, 04:23 PM
Group Moderator
Right, Unfortunately the diagnostics aren't quite sophisticated enough yet to always point directly to the problem. You often have to use powers of deduction, like as Hot says, you get an Evap code you start going down the list of related items, loose gas cap, bad o-ring on gas cap, broken vacuum line, bad purge valve, contaminated charcoal cannister, etc. Someday in the next century our great grandkids will have diagnostics like "P-1234, spark plug gap on cylinder 3 out of specification causing misfire".
They'll be driving hydrogen- or nuclear-powered cars, of course.

Old 05-31-07, 10:58 AM
for Tow and HotinOKC

AutoZone put the diagnostics on the Tahoe and came up with a defective O2 sensor, code P0135. Also code mentions poor connection at sensor as well as bad fuse. Sensor is identified as Sensor Bank 1, Sensor 1 located b4 catalytic converter.

?
What is reasonable price to have this repaired?

Is this something that I could do myself? I am told these sensors (Bosch #15284) are plug-ins.

Thanks for your reply.

TD

Old 05-31-07, 01:02 PM
You could probably do this yourself.

IT just screws into the exhaust manifold.

If you do this yourself, spray the sensor liberally with WD40 or similar.

Be careful removing the wiring plug, you do not want to damage this.

The sensor will just screw out.

Once replaced, give the car about 5-20 miles to shut the malfunction light off.

If someone else repairs it, figure about $50+ an hour, and it should only take less then an hour to replace, but they will charge you for one full hour labor.