96 Ford Aerostar Noise/Vibration

Old 05-29-07, 02:18 PM
96 Ford Aerostar Noise/Vibration

I have a 96 Ford Aerostar van with the 4.0 V6 engine and 4-wheel drive.

It has started to make a strange noise/vibration that has my mechanic and I stumped as to the cause. When we lift the gas pedal and decelerate, a fast-pitched vibration/noise will occur for about 3-4 seconds. It almost feels like driving over those wake-up rumble strips along the sides of the freeway. When the noise occurs, the van decelerates more than it would normally, like the van is dragging something behind it that makes it go slower. At the end of the noise/vibration, there is a slight jerk (like whatever was being “dragged” is suddenly released) then it decelerates normally. The speed range at which this happens is between 40-65 mph. When I lockout the overdrive to force it to stay in 3rd gear, the problem is the same.

This strange noise/vibration started immediately after we had the following work done (by a tire shop): new front tires, new outer tie rods, and a front end alignment. I don’t know if this problem is related to this recent work or not. When we took the van to our regular mechanic to investigate the noise, he discovered the front axles needed to be replaced along with the left inner tie rod, which he did. This unfortunately did not fix the noise/vibration.

If anyone can suggest what this problem might be based on prior experience, or suggest a course of diagnosis, my mechanic and I would be very appreciative. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-07, 02:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I would have the axles and tie rods double if not triple checked. YOu do not want any of these components to brake loose or could be in trouble.

If these turn out alright, I would look into getting your transmission looked at.

Inspect your brake calipers as well.

Old 05-30-07, 04:56 AM
Group Moderator
And on a 4wd vehicle you could have a transfer case or rear differential issue.