door lock on a '94 camry

Old 05-30-07, 09:06 AM
Question door lock on a '94 camry

On my '94 Camry, 4dr, elec. windows and locks, the driver door handle occasionally does not open the door. 9 times out of ten it's fine, but having to reach around from the rear seat and work it from inside is a pain.
Removed the panel and everything in there looks okay, nothing broken off, or
hangin' loose.
Do I R&R the mechanism? Or, is there something common to these I can look for. Car has 183K on it.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-07, 11:20 AM
Group Moderator
Trying to remember how that mechanism is configured (used to have a '95). I'm thinking maybe something just sticking a little. You might try eyeballing all the moving parts and hit them all with a quick squirt of lubricant. Hit the door latch mechanism that is visible on the rear edge of the door when it's open also.

Old 06-09-07, 04:13 PM
Talking Thanks, Tow Guy

I schpritzed the door insides with WD, which seemed to help, but then on Monday last, I heard something inside the door go snap -clunk.
Rem'd the panel and found the down-rod from the door handle to the mechanism had snapped off.
The Toyota parts guy told me that they're seeing mid-90's Toyotas with this problem- metal fatigue. At 184K, I can't complain; that's lotsa door opening/closings. But at $325 for a new mechanism (elec. door-locks, not installed!), I galloped off to the local 'bonie', where I bought a used one for $40, and a local hanger-outer right there put it in for another $35.
Anyway, I hate to not reply to you guys when you care enough to help other people.
Seeya
Jim in Quincy MA